Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clau View Post
But I'd like to double check if someone knows if a deleted file on a Kindle can be recovered with a software. For the record, I plan to turn off the WiFi while the file is on the Kindle.
If you delete the file from Kindle and then fill it completely with some other data (so the actual file is overwritten, not just its FAT record), it will be OK - for a customer document where you had to sign NDA and where they let you walk out of the building with documents in your briefcase ;-)

There are various levels of confidentiality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classif...ication_levels
For the highest levels that would not be enough, but before they let you handle such documents they make sure that you understand perfectly what is allowed (almost nothing).
Beginning with Confidential level you are required to have special and very expensive approved hardware.
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you're concerned with NDAs and legal ramifications, I'd say your safest bet is to read the documents on a device that has no wireless capabilities. Period. Even then, I'd probably prefer a hard-copy. Not because I'm paranoid about Amazon's ability to see what I'm reading, but because of the knowledge that entering into an NDA means that someone, somewhere is looking for a reason to sue me for breech of that agreement. "Device that communicates wirelessly with corporate servers" would practically "sing" to someone who was litigious by nature.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not because I'm paranoid about Amazon's ability to see what I'm reading, but because of the knowledge that entering into an NDA means that someone, somewhere is looking for a reason to sue me for breech of that agreement.
Or, to be a little less cynical, an NDA suggests that someone feels that other people would be actively interested in getting their hands on that info.

I mean, I doubt a power even as global and ruthless as, say, JK Rowling, is really looking for ways to hack into all readers to find if someone has an illicit Harry Potter book, but it's a reality that some industries might engage in industrial espionage to try to find competitors trade secrets.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Oh, I don't doubt it a bit. I was only speaking to my personal desire to "not get sued". If someone gives me something to read that I had to sign an NDA to accept... I'm not keeping it on a flash-drive sticking out of my laptop in the back-seat of my car. And neither am I going to keep it on a "flash-drive with a screen" that connects wirelessly to servers not under my control.

I'm either not going to sign the NDA, or I'm going to request a hard-copy that gets locked in a desk-drawer when I'm not reading it. Because people are sue-happy (justified or not) so I'm not going to make it easier for them to do so if I can help it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
Clau
Enthusiast
Clau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was only speaking to my personal desire to "not get sued".
That's my intention also. Chances are nobody is going to try to hack into my computer to get my confidential files but if for some reason they show up in Google and my clients happen to trace them back to me, I could be sued. That almost never happens, but I don't want to risk it. Thanks for your responses, I guess I'll have to use a deleting software just to be sure. BTW, I bought a non-3G Kindle for this reason, the Internet would have been nice.
Clau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #36
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Just curious as to why loaned books disappear from my Kindle Touch even though I don't delete them. Amazon accessing my Kindle and removing them? I realize I'm not allowed to read them while they are on loan, but ........
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
Draculaa
Draculaa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Your E-Book Is Reading You.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...051438304.html

Last edited by Draculaa; 06-29-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Draculaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
Just curious as to why loaned books disappear from my Kindle Touch even though I don't delete them. Amazon accessing my Kindle and removing them? I realize I'm not allowed to read them while they are on loan, but ........
They have a "time out" built in. Amazon aren't doing anything "active" - it's the Kindle's firmware that's doing it.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #39
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW/iPad2/5S/Tab3 Past:NewtonOMP>N120> Palm3>3c> iPAQ3850>Droid>K3>DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They have a "time out" built in. Amazon aren't doing anything "active" - it's the Kindle's firmware that's doing it.
I don't believe that's true. I've found that if I'm approaching the due date, turning off my wifi connection keeps the books from disappearing and I can finish the book as long as I don't sync. It's not until the end of loan letter is delivered that the book gets deleted.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #40
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Amazon knows people have got books that should not be there in the Kindle, they do not need to know what is on any person's kindle. They have complained about file sharing companies. I use to steal books from book stores when I was young, the book store did not know, it is all about angles!
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #41
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clau View Post
That's my intention also. Chances are nobody is going to try to hack into my computer to get my confidential files but if for some reason they show up in Google and my clients happen to trace them back to me, I could be sued. That almost never happens, but I don't want to risk it. Thanks for your responses, I guess I'll have to use a deleting software just to be sure. BTW, I bought a non-3G Kindle for this reason, the Internet would have been nice.
The much more likely dangers are common thieves or garden variety hackers. Once they have the device or it's info, who knows what they'll do with it. You don't need to be somebody huge to be a target.

"You're a target just by living
Twenty dollars will make you die."
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote