Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
paco_lch
paco_lch began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
M92 stopped booting

Hello fellow boox users,

I've been using Boox M92 for about a week. Several days ago it failed to boot and I have had no luck bringing it back to life ever since.

I've checked this forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168842

and did the following (without any success):
- reset it many dozen times (through the hole on the back cover);
- updated firmware from original to v1.7 official and 20120224.

Here is the situation (please see attached the picture of the device):
- the boot progress bar (at the bottom of the screen) reaches the end and nothing happens (for many hours);
- the blue LED stays on forever;
- battery is fully charged (did all the manipulations while connected to power as well);
- the reset button works (after the click, the blue LED goes off and i can again power up the device with the On/Off button);
- if i press and hold the On/Off button for some 10 sec or so, the device restarts;
- firmware updates were successful (judging by different wallpaper or screensaver during the boot process);
- on the day before this glitch occured, I installed NewsFlash RSS reader (the program did not work) and used wi-fi connection (successfully). After that i used my boox for a couple of hours without any problems.

Is there any solution to this problem (except flashing the reader with nuclear EMP)?

thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09032012387.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	666.4 KB
ID:	83675  

Last edited by paco_lch; 03-09-2012 at 09:13 AM.
paco_lch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Did you try to go back to fw 1.6?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
I would also say try to downgrade to 1.6 (it is currently considered stabile) and if it works then upgrade to 1.7 (24) again. But try to use another SD card. As I could figure out, often that problem appears by copying and using of corrupted data from SD card.

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
ren022a
ren022a began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox A60
As far as I know, an earlier batch of M92 has the problem. It has been fixed quickly in later products already, better to check this with Onyx directly. Here is the support mail address,
Sophia <daisy@onyx-international.com>.
ren022a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I probably have M92 from early batch (1st being sold in EU - end of Dec 2011) and no problem, so far.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
paco_lch

Thanks everyone for your quick replies!

V1.6 taken from here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164162
makes no difference.

The firmware gets installed (black screen at the end and the device turns off) but the reader again freezes at the end of the boot progress bar.

My M92 was ordered from Germany in early Feb 2012.

I did another experiment (inspired by a positive solution to a similar problem discussed at
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...d1b43124e84be9
I left the device in this frozen state (with LED on) for as long as it took it to completely run out of batteries (rather quick though, about 10 hours). Then fully charged it for about 4 hours. Then did everything from simple start, to reset, to firmware update (with external power supply).

I tried different SD card, but to be honest, I think the likelihood of getting a defective reader should be much higher than getting a bad SD card these days (Transcend and SanDisk cards have become pretty much commodities...).

Formatting the cards differently – FAT, FAT32 (the reader does not recognize NTFS-formatted card) did not help either.

Any ideas? I think I am getting ready to see what’s inside…

By the way, how come v1.6 firmware is 190Mb and v1.7 is only ~100Mb?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
paco_lch

Does anyone know how to open the back cover of M92 and disconnect the battery?
Please share your experience.
Removing the two screws doesn't make it obvious.

I could find this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcVn10luDk&lr=1
but the designs of A60 and M92 are different.

Last edited by paco_lch; 03-10-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_lch View Post
Does anyone know how to open the back cover of M92 and disconnect the battery?
Please share your experience.
Removing the two screws doesn't make it obvious.

I could find this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcVn10luDk&lr=1
but the designs of A60 and M92 are different.
You are not seriously telling us you want to repair a device that is only 4 weeks old? Seems to me a clear case of warranty.
Should you mess up you have thrown a lot of money out of the window.
Replacing it is cheaper.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
paco_lch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
You are not seriously telling us you want to repair a device that is only 4 weeks old? Seems to me a clear case of warranty.
Should you mess up you have thrown a lot of money out of the window.
Replacing it is cheaper.
The Booxs are not officially sold where i live (mine was imported), so there is no way i can send it back for repair.

Besides, removing the cover and disconnecting the battery should not void the warranty.

If you go through various Onyx Boox forums you'll see that this "hard reset" helps. I am afraid getting this skill is essential for any boox user

Has anyone opened the M92 back cover? Please help.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Booxs are not officially sold where i live (mine was imported), so there is no way i can send it back for repair.

Besides, removing the cover and disconnecting the battery should not void the warranty.

If you go through various Onyx Boox forums you'll see that this "hard reset" helps. I am afraid getting this skill is essential for any boox user

Has anyone opened the M92 back cover? Please help.
Importing has nothing to do with warranty.
No idea how much shipping back and forth would cost.

What I don't understand, if the problem is discussed in other forums, don't they mention how to go about it?

If this "skill" is essential, this product should not be on the market.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Actually if simple reseting or reinstall of firmware does not help in your case it is obviously a warranty case and I would suggest you to contact your vendor.
If you bought your device in our store the replacement could be done immediately. The warranty is worldwide valid.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Markereader
Markereader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wink firmware to solve the boot up problem

Quote:
Hello fellow boox users,

I've been using Boox M92 for about a week. Several days ago it failed to boot and I have had no luck bringing it back to life ever since.

I've checked this forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168842

and did the following (without any success):
- reset it many dozen times (through the hole on the back cover);
- updated firmware from original to v1.7 official and 20120224.

Here is the situation (please see attached the picture of the device):
- the boot progress bar (at the bottom of the screen) reaches the end and nothing happens (for many hours);
- the blue LED stays on forever;
- battery is fully charged (did all the manipulations while connected to power as well);
- the reset button works (after the click, the blue LED goes off and i can again power up the device with the On/Off button);
- if i press and hold the On/Off button for some 10 sec or so, the device restarts;
- firmware updates were successful (judging by different wallpaper or screensaver during the boot process);
- on the day before this glitch occured, I installed NewsFlash RSS reader (the program did not work) and used wi-fi connection (successfully). After that i used my boox for a couple of hours without any problems.

Is there any solution to this problem (except flashing the reader with nuclear EMP)?

thanks in advance!
Hi, Please download this firmware from: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D033292_4508877_98598

Update instruction: After you download this firmware, put it into an empty SD card( no need to unzip the firmware). You need to update the device twice. It takes around 10 minu for first time and 3 minu for second time. Please try and see if it works
Markereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Welcome to our forum, Markereader!

Your first post is a link to a firmware. Maybe you could explain, what kind of firmware it is (version, official, modfication,...) and where it came from. On sugarsync it says, this file is from "han@onyx-international.com". Is that you, are you an employee at Onyx Intl.? Or has an Onyx employee sent this link to you?

Please don't feel offended by my questions. You will understand, that we have to be sceptical about new firmware - it might even brick our devices and void warranty if we are not careful
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
ignacio ferrer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markereader View Post
Hi, Please download this firmware from: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D033292_4508877_98598

Update instruction: After you download this firmware, put it into an empty SD card( no need to unzip the firmware). You need to update the device twice. It takes around 10 minu for first time and 3 minu for second time. Please try and see if it works
Is this a special anti-freeze firmware?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
judging by the name it is the latest unofficial update
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote