Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #166
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,230
Karma: 1619751
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Almere, The Netherlands
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,
Just to make this perfectly clear, KindleUnpack tries to create an "epub-like" structure from a KF8 raw files. That means if a validated epub was provided to kindlegen, then you should get something very close if not exactly a validated epub back from kindlegen. If however old mobi or unvalidated epubs or even html is fed to kindlegen, then KindleUnpack will generate something that looks like an epub in structure but that will require significant editing in Sigil or an epub to epub conversion in Calibre to produce an epub that will pass validation.

KevinH
Understood, Kevin. I'm pretty much only interested in something my Kobo will display; I don't really care whether it passses any kind of validation . I have a few KF8 files KindeUnpack barfed on; I can send 'em to you if you're interested in looking at them?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #167
KevinH
Guru
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 953
Karma: 410248
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: many
Hi,

Yes if the latest KindleUnpack barfs (errors out and exits - not just creating an invalid epub) on a valid KF8 file, then i would love to see the exact error message (using debug and raw flags) to see what is going on and get it fixed.

Alternatively you can zip up any examples and post a link in the KindleUnpack sticky thread in the Mobi forum on this site (but please do not post a public link to copywritten materials) or post a link privately to KevinH and I will look into fixing KindleUnpack bugs.

Take care,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #168
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,230
Karma: 1619751
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Almere, The Netherlands
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

Yes if the latest KindleUnpack barfs (errors out and exits - not just creating an invalid epub) on a valid KF8 file, then i would love to see the exact error message (using debug and raw flags) to see what is going on and get it fixed.
False alarm. The titles of the offending AZW3's were so long that the total path names became longer than 255 chars. Shortening the filenames fixed it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #169
Xinthose
Junior Member
Xinthose began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2013
Device: Kindle for PC
Thank you so much for your plugin. It is the only reason I have Calibre. Amazon Kindle to Epub to PDF to...

Last edited by Xinthose; 06-11-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Xinthose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #170
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DiapDealer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,272
Karma: 42298328
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinthose View Post
Thank you so much for your plugin. It is the only reason I have Calibre. Amazon Kindle to Epub to PDF to other students taking the same class as me.
You wouldn't technically need the plugin to do the conversion you're talking about, but whatever works for you. I certainly hope that last part doesn't mean you're distributing copyrighted material to an entire classroom of people who are expected to purchase the study material for a course. If it does; I don't approve.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #171
JoseWriter
Junior Member
JoseWriter began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: Nook, Kindle, iPad
Hi folks,

I've been working on creating an ebook out of Indesign for weeks. I used the Calibre mobi unpack plugin but I can't seem to find a way of repacking like I can with the Caliber Tweak option. I have reached this point because I am having problems with the image size as they display on the Fire HD devices (they look fine on the e-ink devices). I do not have a problem with the epub exports out of Indesign. The epub works perfectly straight out of the ID export, which gives you the option of relative page sizing for your images. I have tried various methods to try to get a good kindle version, including exporting to epub then converting to Mobi in Calibre, exporting to epub and creating the mobi using kindlegen in previewer, and on and on. The problems with any of those methods is that one thing or another goes wrong...problems with the images being to small on the Fire HD devices, or problems with the embedded fonts disappearing, or the drop caps disappear, bad spacing between paragraphs, the TOC disappears, or the files blow up when I try to open them with the kindle previewer. So I am now on about the 8th trial and error attempt: generate the mobi with the ID kindle export (which gives the best results except for the image width on the HD devices), edit the html and change the image width setting to 100% (great idea I picked up after endless hours scouring the mobil reads forum) and then repack the mobi file so that the previewer and KDP will accept it.

But how can I repack it without losing: the toc, the drop caps, the embedded fonts, or otherwise messing up the mobi file? I saw something on the boards about python, but when I went to the site it was daunting...I don't necessarily want to learn a whole new toolset just for this one change I want to make. I also saw someone post that I can just open the OPF in the previewer, but when I did this the page breaks were gone, the fonts were gone, and the TOC was gone.

The kindle unpack plugin creates several files and folders. I need to find a way to make a good mobi file out of them once I edit the image width option in the html. Help anyone?

JoseWriter
JoseWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #172
pdurrant
The Ghost Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pdurrant's Avatar
 
Posts: 32,221
Karma: 89021440
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norfolk, England
Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseWriter View Post
Hi folks,

I've been working on creating an ebook out of Indesign for weeks. I used the Calibre mobi unpack plugin but I can't seem to find a way of repacking like I can with the Caliber Tweak option. I have reached this point because I am having problems with the image size as they display on the Fire HD devices (they look fine on the e-ink devices). I do not have a problem with the epub exports out of Indesign. The epub works perfectly straight out of the ID export, which gives you the option of relative page sizing for your images. I have tried various methods to try to get a good kindle version, including exporting to epub then converting to Mobi in Calibre, exporting to epub and creating the mobi using kindlegen in previewer, and on and on. The problems with any of those methods is that one thing or another goes wrong...problems with the images being to small on the Fire HD devices, or problems with the embedded fonts disappearing, or the drop caps disappear, bad spacing between paragraphs, the TOC disappears, or the files blow up when I try to open them with the kindle previewer. So I am now on about the 8th trial and error attempt: generate the mobi with the ID kindle export (which gives the best results except for the image width on the HD devices), edit the html and change the image width setting to 100% (great idea I picked up after endless hours scouring the mobil reads forum) and then repack the mobi file so that the previewer and KDP will accept it.

But how can I repack it without losing: the toc, the drop caps, the embedded fonts, or otherwise messing up the mobi file? I saw something on the boards about python, but when I went to the site it was daunting...I don't necessarily want to learn a whole new toolset just for this one change I want to make. I also saw someone post that I can just open the OPF in the previewer, but when I did this the page breaks were gone, the fonts were gone, and the TOC was gone.

The kindle unpack plugin creates several files and folders. I need to find a way to make a good mobi file out of them once I edit the image width option in the html. Help anyone?

JoseWriter
I would suggest working with the ePub output from InDesign, and running it through Kindlegen.

But if you really want to, the output from KindleUnpack shoudl go through KindleGen and regenerate the file accurately. The pseudo-ePub is generates is probably the best input to Kindlegen (if it's a Kindle file with a KF8 section).
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #173
JoseWriter
Junior Member
JoseWriter began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: Nook, Kindle, iPad
Repack Mobi File from Calibre Kindleunpack plugin

Thank you for the quick reply, pdurrant!

The suggestion you made, to work with the epub out of indesign is an excellent one. I think that was the third thing I tried in my many attempts to fix this, but lets make sure we are talking the same thing. I created the epub export from Indesign. I then opened the Kindle Previewer and went to the section on the page labeled "Open BOOK" to preview. When I did that, the TOC was gone. My assumption is that the previewer uses the Kindle conversion tool to create the mobi. Is that what you meant?

JoseWriter
JoseWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #174
pdurrant
The Ghost Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pdurrant's Avatar
 
Posts: 32,221
Karma: 89021440
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norfolk, England
Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseWriter View Post
Thank you for the quick reply, pdurrant!

The suggestion you made, to work with the epub out of indesign is an excellent one. I think that was the third thing I tried in my many attempts to fix this, but lets make sure we are talking the same thing. I created the epub export from Indesign. I then opened the Kindle Previewer and went to the section on the page labeled "Open BOOK" to preview. When I did that, the TOC was gone. My assumption is that the previewer uses the Kindle conversion tool to create the mobi. Is that what you meant?

JoseWriter
The previewer uses kindlegen, but without any compression, so it's quick. That's fine for testing, but you'll want to use KindleGen eventually.

You may well need to tweak the ePub to get it to work well as a Kindle ebook. ePubs tend not to have a table of contents as an XHTML file, so that's probably why it's missing.

If the Kindle output from InDesign is very nearly what you want, you might be better off going with that and MobiUnpack, especially if you're not very sure of how best to tweak the ePub. You WIL need to learn a little about the two main Kindle formats (Mobi and KF8) so that you can make good decisions about what to use from the KindleUnpack output as input to the Kindlegen/Previewer programmes.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I don't know what kind of Kindle output InDesign (or your version of InDesign) produces.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #175
Notjohn
Addict
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 221
Karma: 246332
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: Kindle
I just had occasion to use Kindleunpack: The Plug-in. I'd been putting this off because when I first investigated Mobiunpack I found that it was a Python script, and I despaired of figuring out how to run Python. Then I discovered it as a plug-in, and behold! Python wasn't scary at all.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #176
montalex
Addict
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 391
Karma: 517398
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I used KindleUnpack plugin to unpack a commercial mobi book that had formatting errors (sections were randomly in smaller print with reduced margins. I opened the html in the upacked mobi folder in Word, repaired the errors, then dropped the saved html in Calibre. As expected, I then had a Zip file that I converted back to mobi. All of my changes where there and correct, but all table of contents hyperlinks where gone, and I could no longer jump from chapter to chapter through the book on my Kindle. I've tried this a couple of times with the same result. Any suggestions?

Last edited by montalex; 07-07-2013 at 05:35 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #177
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 22222
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Kindle
I have had a lot of success using InDesign. No need to use Calibre, or ePub, or KindleUnpack, or make any changes to the ouput at all.

I used Amazon's free InDesign plugin - it MUST be the latest version. I've not had any problems with the latest version. I was not using Adobe's ePub output.
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #178
montalex
Addict
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 391
Karma: 517398
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
I have had a lot of success using InDesign. No need to use Calibre, or ePub, or KindleUnpack, or make any changes to the ouput at all.

I used Amazon's free InDesign plugin - it MUST be the latest version. I've not had any problems with the latest version. I was not using Adobe's ePub output.
Thanks! I hadn't heard of it. I'll give it a try.

Oh, you have to have InDesign....

Last edited by montalex; 07-07-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: No InDesign
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #179
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DiapDealer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,272
Karma: 42298328
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex
I used KindleUnpack plugin to unpack a commercial mobi book that had formatting errors (sections were randomly in smaller print with reduced margins. I opened the html in the upacked mobi folder in Word, repaired the errors, then dropped the saved html in Calibre. As expected, I then had a Zip file that I converted back to mobi. All of my changes where there and correct, but all table of contents hyperlinks where gone, and I could no longer jump from chapter to chapter through the book on my Kindle. I've tried this a couple of times with the same result. Any suggestions?
Make the changes to the html and drop the opf file on KindlePreviewer or Kindlegen (unless KindleUnpack produced an epub ... in which case, open the epub in Sigil and make your changes, then convert the epub with calibre or drop the epub on KindlePreviewer or Kindlegen).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-07-2013 at 07:50 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #180
montalex
Addict
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 391
Karma: 517398
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Make the changes to the html and drop the opf file on KindlePreviewer or Kindlegen (unless KindleUnpack produced an epub ... in which case, open the epub in Sigil and make your changes, then convert the epub with calibre or drop the epub on KindlePreviewer or Kindlegen).
Tried it with the same results. All I am doing is changing font size of some sections. I tried making one change, then dragging the odf into KindlePreviewer, and it failed, mentioning broken hyperlinks. I made hundreds of changes in a mobi book that I bought from Amazon, and had no problems (this one was a real mess, the author using italics for interior speech only, but the italics bled into the next paragraphs throughout the book -- drove me nuts).

I think I'm going to give up and just deal with the sections in small font size. It's not a big deal, just annoying.

Thanks
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mobi2mobi

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[GUI Plugin] Open With kiwidude Plugins 232 10-09-2014 12:38 AM
[GUI Plugin] EpubSplit JimmXinu Plugins 149 10-06-2014 10:34 AM
[GUI Plugin] EpubMerge JimmXinu Plugins 180 09-23-2014 03:31 PM
[GUI Plugin] Ex Libris AlPe Plugins 68 09-02-2014 02:56 PM
[GUI Plugin] Plugin Updater **Deprecated** kiwidude Plugins 159 06-19-2011 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.