Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
craig8128
craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Question Launch document from icon on iPad?

Here's what I'd like to do: I'd like to take a document of some sort -- MS Word, Keynote, PPT, PDF, etc -- and load it onto my iPad in such a way that it will appear as an icon on the desktop, so that I can just click on the icon and it will open / display the document.

I know that it's possible to create a "home screen icon" that will bring up a page in Mobile Safari -- but I'd like to do this for something that's not a web page.

Is it even possible?

Thanks,

Craig
craig8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW & Kindle app (iPad 3 & iPhone 5)
The only thing I can think of to do:

1) Have a Dropbox account

2) Put documents into the Public folder

3) Copy the public link (via your Dropbox folder on the PC...right click on the file > Dropbox > "copy public link")

4) Paste the link into Safari (I use an app called LazyText, but you can always just type the public link into Safari's URL box...)

5) Look at the document on Safari and then "Add to Home Screen" (via Safari)

This has worked for Excel, Word and PowerPoint files - and pictures (jpg and animated gifs) and PDFs.

The really cool thing is that once you [re]open the file from your homescreen, you can either view it right there in Safari, or open it in a compatible app.

Note that in the Safari view, you can only look at the file/document. But, if you open it in a compatible app, you can edit it (and I assume save it, though I didn't try that part out).

Marilyn

P.S. And thanks for asking the question. I didn't know this could be done until I tried it.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Makays
Makays began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad air
Thanks

Thanks so much Mickey/Marilyn. I've been trying to do this for months.

Morey

Last edited by Makays; 10-18-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Makays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 6 Plus
You can do this if the document is stored in an app that manages URLs for documents. For example Notebooks does this. But I don't think a lot of apps allow it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 6 Plus
Oops, I didn't notice this was necroposting...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote