Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Karen Janssen
Karen Janssen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Kindle/Calibre problem

Kindle Calibre problem:
If I import books from Kindle for PC to Calibre by copying the files and importing them into Calibre, many books (DRM I think) will not open. My Kindle gives me this snippy message that I am using an illegal device. But if I delete the book and download it directly from the cloud, it works fine. I own these books. Why does it make a difference what route it takes to get to my reader?
Karen Janssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can't just copy ebooks from your Kindle for PC application to your Kindle device (if they have DRM). It doesn't work like that. The DRM is tied to the device/app that downloads it and is not interchangeable with other devices/apps.

Why?

There's about a bajiliion threads floating around that discuss that sort of thing if "why" is your main concern here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Your problem is with Calibre not liking the DRM. In any case, the solution should be to download the tools described in Apprentice Alf's blog. If you google it, you should find the blog easily and from there get fairly detailed instructions about how to remove DRM from your books so you can use the content you purchased free of such restrictions.

It took me about 15 minutes of fiddling, but now I ca do what you describe above - importing books into Calibre and from there sync with the Kindle.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW1,2, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
DiapDealer is correct. The DRM on your downloaded ebooks for Kindle for PC are not compatible with your Kindle device. You need to download the file for the correct device, or do as vxf suggests and strip the DRM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote