Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #31
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
While I like my Kindle Fire, I have A LOT of software on the iPad/iPod (> 50 GB, > 500 apps) and see the value of not having to buy everything twice.

500 apps? Good heavens.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
I've used both Android and iOS, and although I currently have an iPhone, I wouldn't trade the Fire for a 7 inch iPad. I may very well replace it with a 7 inch Android tablet, however (meaning a full-Android tablet with access to the Android Marketplace, such as a Galaxy Tab 7).
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #33
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
I have both an iPad 2 and a KF, as well as a more "open" 4G/LTE Android phone that I can use as a hotspot with both my iPad and the KF. Don't intend to replace the iPad with an iPad 3 and wouldn't replace the KF with a 7" iPad. My reasons may be somewhat unique but here they are...

() I like having access to different software development "threads" so limiting myself to a single OS family is not for me. Android and iOS both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is an environment I'm willing to commit myself to without another option.

() The biggest fundamental difference between the iPad and the KF, at least for me, is that the KF is content consumption device. Though not ideal, the iPad can be "stretched" to be a relatively useful content creation device. Not the equivalent of a laptop but it works in a pinch and for relatively uncomplicated content creation.

One of the iPad's advantages is bluetooth support for a physical keyboard. But another more subtle advantage is the fact that the iPad's screen is twice the size of the KF and the 4x3 aspect ratio of the iPad is far better than the near 16x9 format of the KF for content creation.

The weakness of a 7" iPad is that it sacrifices that advantage. So even if a "mini-iPad" retains the bluetooth connectivity of the larger iPad, it would still be a less satisfactory multipurpose tablet.

Make it an 8" form factor and it would still be less useful than the current iPad and would be less portable than the current KF.

() Price. I doubt seriously that Apple could/would price a mini-iPad for less than $300-$350. Higher than that price point and the gap between it and the full size iPad would be a problem. Less than $300 and Apple would have to make its profit on subsequent content, just as Amazon does. But Apple doesn't have the same breadth of content to sell, especially non-digital products.

So is a mini-iPad worth the $100-$150 price premium compared to a KF? Not to me. No doubt it will appeal to Apple fans, especially the iPod Touch crowd. (It would put the final nail in the coffin for that product, imo.) But I suspect it would be as serious a threat to the full-size iPad as to the KF (and other forthcoming low price Android tablets.) And I suspect that Apple agrees with that analysis. No point in selling a $300-$350 device to someone who otherwise would buy a $500-$700 device.

But how about other features like a camera and a microphone? Nope. I use my phone or another device I've discovered for taking photos. It's called a camera. A mic? Again, marginal value for me compared to functionality I already have in my phone. (Though forging a personal relationship with Siri is sometimes tempting.)

() Bottom line. Questions like this always come down (or should come down) to how a particular device fills a personal technology "gap." The current KF fits well between my smartphone and the iPad. A "mini-iPad" would add be redundant for me without significantly adding functionality or portability. It wouldn't match the iPad for content creation and wouldn't add much if any functionality compared to my KF at a considerably higher price.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle, iPad,Nook Color, Sony 350&PRS T1, Entourage PE
I love all of my gadgetgets, my Fire, my 7"Gallaxy Tab, my iPad 1st gen, my Samsung Galaxy S phone. Yes I will buy a 7" iPad 3G if they start selling one. I like having Flash on my android devices, but I really like how smoothly apps work on my iPad. I don't think android has caught up to Apple yet on quality of apps.
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #35
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Questions like this always come down (or should come down) to how a particular device fills a personal technology "gap.""
I agree completely.
I am a lifelong Mac user but for me the 10 inch Ipad does not offer much more portability than my 13 inch Macbook as I would still need a back pack or shoulder bag of about the same size to safely haul it around the city.

And as far as a smart phones, I just cant see how people can enjoy using most of the apps I have seen on those tiny screens especially reading books and other text heavy documents.

But the 7 inch Kindle Fire ( or any decent android tablet at that size ), is the perfect portable technology companion for me at least .
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #36
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The only reasons why Apple cannot make a reasonably priced 7" iPad is because:

1) You're probably still going to be using the Kindle/Nook applications, so they can't make money off you by buying off the iBookstore
2) iBooks just had their DRM cracked
3) You probably have a Netflix subscription, so you won't be buying/renting through them
4) Once the jailbreak is out, MILLIONS will do so and it will hurt Apple because a lot will do it just to get the paid apps for free
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #37
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone 5
Yes, in a heartbeat. I love my KF but only because I wanted a smaller screen (compared to mu iPad) and the tight Kindle eBooks ecosystem. But I have purchased hundreds of apps for my iPad and I'd rather not pay for another copy of Angry Birds seasons.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I agree completely.
I am a lifelong Mac user but for me the 10 inch Ipad does not offer much more portability than my 13 inch Macbook as I would still need a back pack or shoulder bag of about the same size to safely haul it around the city.

And as far as a smart phones, I just cant see how people can enjoy using most of the apps I have seen on those tiny screens especially reading books and other text heavy documents.

But the 7 inch Kindle Fire ( or any decent android tablet at that size ), is the perfect portable technology companion for me at least .
I'm a mac user since 2004 after using Windows since Win 3.1. i have an iPhone but I use as ----a phone. I text and make phone calls. I use some of the apps finding a good restaurant, cheapest gas in the area, a good parking place, where a certain movie is playing, gps service. I use a Siri like app for some stuff. I don't use it for TV or movies--I don't see the point. I have a neighbor who says she's writing her book on one. I find even the KF keyboard too small. I don't get it.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #39
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"I don't use it for TV or movies--I don't see the point. I have a neighbor who says she's writing her book on one."
LOL!!! She must have super human eyesight and Alot of patience.!!!

With my 1/4 inch thick bifocal assisted, 48 year old, eyes I am thankful to be able to enlarge font sizes in my Aldiko reader app as I doubt I would have gotten through the entire Frank Herbert "Dune" Series
that I started in Dec 2011, if I had been stuck with the font sizes in the hard copy versions.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #40
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The only reasons why Apple cannot make a reasonably priced 7" iPad is because:

1) You're probably still going to be using the Kindle/Nook applications, so they can't make money off you by buying off the iBookstore
2) iBooks just had their DRM cracked
The amount of money Apple makes from iBooks is barely even measurable, it certainly wouldn't drive decision making.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The only reasons why Apple cannot make a reasonably priced 7" iPad is because
Actually, I reckon the reason the don't come out with one is because parts are still expensive enough that they won't be able to sell it at a price that would give them 50% or higher profit margin. Apple makes money off hardware sales. iTunes, iBooks and App Store are just icing on the cake.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #42
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The amount of money Apple makes from iBooks is barely even measurable, it certainly wouldn't drive decision making.
Exactly, And it will be marked at a $399 price if it does surface. Nothing lower.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #43
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
LOL!!! She must have super human eyesight and Alot of patience.!!!

With my 1/4 inch thick bifocal assisted, 48 year old, eyes I am thankful to be able to enlarge font sizes in my Aldiko reader app as I doubt I would have gotten through the entire Frank Herbert "Dune" Series
that I started in Dec 2011, if I had been stuck with the font sizes in the hard copy versions.
I was so shocked by the comment I forgot to ask WHY?? I hope it's a short book.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #44
Andy_T
Addict
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Well, the Dune series - depending on whether you are talking about the original books by Frank Herbert only or also the sequels/prequels that have since been launched, certainly encompasses a few thousand pages. So not really that short.

I also recently bought some paperback books again and found it to be a much less desirable experience (compared to, say 2 years ago, when I read mostly paperback versions of books), now that I am spoilt by the bright, large screen of my Kindle Fire.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #45
beej231
Addict

[QUOTE=Andy_T;1987815]Well, the Dune series - depending on whether you are talking about the original books by Frank Herbert only or also the sequels/prequels that have since been launched, certainly encompasses a few thousand pages. So not really that short.

Yes but she's WRITING her book on her phone. Insanity. I know she has a desktop and a laptop. Maybe she is doing it to prove she can. I have tiny hands and sometimes find the Fire's keyboard frustrating. I don't get it.