Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Device: Kobo Glo
Am I on the right track?

I'm hoping to buy an e-Book Reader and having researched what's available wanted to check whether I have any other options open to me.

Firstly I would like a relatively pure e-Book reader therefore my criteria are:

- decent battery life
- readable in sunlight
- above pretty much rules out anything with colour TFTs
- no 'locked in' devices with proprietry formats (e.g. Kindle)
- must support ePub and HTML. PDF a useful bonus.
- no Sony devices (bad personal experience with anything Sony)
- reasonable price
- something that can take simple text notes (i.e. notepad function)

In the UK our options are more limited than in the US, but I was looking at the Kobe Touch because of its reasonable price but it doesn't have note taking ability. Based on the downloaded desktop software, it seems pretty locked into the Kobe store as well. I will need to load and read DRM free ePubs from a variety of legitimate sources. Additionally it doesn't have a notepad facility.

I also noticed that colour eInk screens are available although I haven't seen any devices that incorporate them or any indications of expected battery life although Amazon is reportedly producing one soon.

Baiscally need to know:-
- is there anything out there with a colour eInk screen
- indication of battery life on colour eInk screen
- anything out there that has a notepad that can take even simple text notes
- what happens when the batteries die (it seems with most readers they cannot be replaced)
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDead View Post
I'm hoping to buy an e-Book Reader and having researched what's available wanted to check whether I have any other options open to me.

Firstly I would like a relatively pure e-Book reader therefore my criteria are:

- decent battery life
- readable in sunlight
- above pretty much rules out anything with colour TFTs
- no 'locked in' devices with proprietry formats (e.g. Kindle)
- must support ePub and HTML. PDF a useful bonus.
- no Sony devices (bad personal experience with anything Sony)
- reasonable price
- something that can take simple text notes (i.e. notepad function)

In the UK our options are more limited than in the US, but I was looking at the Kobe Touch because of its reasonable price but it doesn't have note taking ability. Based on the downloaded desktop software, it seems pretty locked into the Kobe store as well. I will need to load and read DRM free ePubs from a variety of legitimate sources. Additionally it doesn't have a notepad facility.

I also noticed that colour eInk screens are available although I haven't seen any devices that incorporate them or any indications of expected battery life although Amazon is reportedly producing one soon.

Baiscally need to know:-
- is there anything out there with a colour eInk screen
- indication of battery life on colour eInk screen
- anything out there that has a notepad that can take even simple text notes
- what happens when the batteries die (it seems with most readers they cannot be replaced)
The Kobo Touch supports ePub with Adobe DRM, so you can buy ebooks from almost every UK ebook store, except Amazon.

Most people doubt if there will be an color eink device soon, I do not think there will be, at least not from Amazon.

Do not worry about batteries dying. The battery will probably last longer than the time you use the device and replace it with a newer generation model.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

EPubs with Adobe DRM is no problem, but I will also be wanting to look at ePub files without DRM which can be freely downloaded and viewed on any desktop ePub reader like Calibre for example. No purchase required.

The Kobe desktop software gave me the impression that you can only download from the Kobe store. It also made me go through hoops picking irrelevant categories and subjects and ultimately still prevented me from just dragging and dropping an ePub file onto the 'bookshelf'. Every time I cleared the books it automatically put there (and which I didn't want) it went back to the beggining of the frustrating category selection process again. If the e-Book reader devices are anything like that then I am well and truly put off.

Is it not possible to put files on the memory card and put them into the reader or even download them via WiFi and just open the file and read it on these devices without being forced into going through the process of signing up to the bookstore and selecting unwanted categories and books that you don't want?

Last edited by BrainDead; 02-22-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
EPubs with Adobe DRM is no problem, but I will also be wanting to look at ePub files without DRM which can be freely downloaded and viewed on any desktop ePub reader like Calibre for example. No purchase required.

The Kobe desktop software gave me the impression that you can only download from the Kobe store. It also made me go through hoops picking irrelevant categories and subjects and ultimately still prevented me from just dragging and dropping an ePub file onto the 'bookshelf'. Every time I cleared the books it automatically put there (and which I didn't want) it went back to the beggining of the frustrating category selection process again. If the e-Book reader devices are anything like that then I am well and truly put off.

Is it not possible to put files on the memory card and put them into the reader or even download them via WiFi and just open the file and read it on these devices without being forced into going through the process of signing up to the bookstore and selecting unwanted categories and books that you don't want?
I do not have a Kobo ereader myself, but as far as I know you do not have to use the Kobo desktop software.
You can just go the Kobo website and buy your books there.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Quote:
Sure it is! I have been reading on my Asus Transformer tablet, with all my books on an SD card.
Almost all of my books are DRM-free ePub, with an occasional PDF.
I just got a Nook Simple Touch (which I really like BTW).
I copied my entire library onto another SD card, put in into the Nook ST, and started reading.

I wouldn't consider any device that didn't allow this method.

Regards,
Eric
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
BrainDead

Question

Thanks ebsebs. Just had a look online for that Nook Simple Toch. Interestingly in one of the write-ups it said that the Nook doesn't have any 'annoying ads' like in other readers.

Now the last thing I would want on an eBook reader is ads poping up while I'm reading. That would be irritatingly distracting and would definately put a stop to any idea I have of buying one. I presume these ads are somehow delivered via the connection to the app store or over the air somehow. The question is which readers are plagued with them?

Obviously the Nook scores on this point. Anyone Know whether the Kobo has them?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone
The ads on the Kindle (which is the only one I know with ads, and those ads are in the discounted versions of those Kindles) only pop up on screensavers and home screen (i.e. not in books).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Kobo doesn't have ads, only specific Kindle models have ads for a discounted price and those ads are not invasive (screensavers).

Didn't you say you are in the UK? B&N only sell the Nook in the US.

Sony has the ability you are looking for to write standalone notes. Recent thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18#post1967918
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Kobo doesn't have ads, only specific Kindle models have ads for a discounted price and those ads are not invasive (screensavers).

Didn't you say you are in the UK? B&N only sell the Nook in the US.

Sony has the ability you are looking for to write standalone notes. Recent thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18#post1967918
Nook will almost certainly be the new Waterstones ereader. I expect there will be an announcement about this soon (because with WH Smith selling Kobo, Waterstones cannot afford to wait too long).
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
BrainDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
The ads on the Kindle (which is the only one I know with ads, and those ads are in the discounted versions of those Kindles) only pop up on screensavers and home screen (i.e. not in books).
That would seem to rule out B&N then. Apparently you can buy one but whether you would actually be able to buy any books from their store is another matter as they don't have a UK store.

Thanks for confirming that Kobo does not have ads.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
There is a version of the Kobo Touch with "Special Offers", not sure if it's available in the UK or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
B&N does not lock you into their store. You can read DRM-free epub and epub w/ Adobe DRM from other stores.

Jetbook and Hanvon have color e-ink readers. It's not e-ink, but the non-backlist Mirasol screen is also commercially available. You would need to import these, probably.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon does not look you into their store. You can read DRM free Mobi files with great ease. And there are plenty of independent bookstores and sites, like Mobile Read, that have free books available for the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Amazon does not look you into their store.
If you want the latest bestsellers, then all major readers do have some form of vendor lock-in (assuming you don't want to strip the DRM).

Amazon's is the most restrictive as your only source is Amazon.com. B&N, Kobo and Sony are less restrictive. Kobo and Sony readers support Adobe DRM so you can buy from pretty much anywhere except Amazon and B&N. The Nook, you can buy from pretty much anywhere except Amazon.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Funny, I have read more then one post from people using Sony, Kobo, and Nook that they buy from Amazon on a regular basis. Stripping DRM and converting takes little to no time.

And by more then one post I mean lots of posts from EPub e-reader owners that they shop at Amazon.

Which leads me to believe that you are "locked out" of a store if you chose to be locked out. And the reality is that plenty of Amazon Kindle owners buy books from stores other than Amazon and load those books onto their e-readers with plenty of ease.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote