Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Touch: What is the WiFi used for?

Dumb question. I am giving my wife a Kobo Touch for her birthday in a few weeks. I purchased a Vox when it was released, and use the WiFi to transfer files over Dropbox, download books to Overdrive from the public library and browse the web. I'm curious as to what the WiFi on the Touch is used for?
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2, Kobo Touch
The WiFi is really an adjunct to the regular USB to computer connection.

I've never used the WiFi connection myself other than to test that it works, as I always have my computer available to download books and update firmware.

If I was in a hotel and wanted to download a book, and a WiFi connection was available, I suppose it would be useful.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
1. To update your bookmarks so that they are be the same on every computer/Kobo/Vox on your account.

2. So that you can buy and download books from Kobo without needing a computer.

3. To update your firmware.

4. So that you can share highlights, notes, Reading Awards and reading stats to FaceBook ( It's called Reading Life, the Vox and Kobo apps also have this), See this link for more information about Reading Life.

You can also browse the web Via the built in web browser and download books from the dropbox website (The Mobile version doesn't work right, so go the desktop version).

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-21-2012 at 05:51 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote