Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
sedition
sedition began at the beginning.

Device: none
Error connecting to device (again)

I have a Kobo Touch and am running the latest firmware (1.9.16)

I am also running the latest version of Calibre 0.8.40

Windows XP Service Pack 3

A few versions of Calibre ago, I was not having the 'Error Connecting to Device' that I (and a lot of other people) seem to be having.

Now, every time I want to load a book onto my Kobo, I get this error:

calibre, version 0.8.40
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 253, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1010, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

I know lots of other people have posted this error but I have seen no actual solution issued that seems to work in most instances.

I'm thinking that this connection error is so frequent, perhaps it is worth a sticky.

If I'm missing the boat and there is a major thread about this please post the link.

Thanks in advance
sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
When you have the Kobo connected, does it show as a drive letter in Windows?

Can you do a Windows chkdsk on it?

Does Kobo Desktop see the Touch?
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
sedition

Windows XP can see my KOBO as a drive and I can see the file folders and files in there and access them.

The trouble happens when I connect to Calibre and then it somehow 'disables' the connection almost always after I attempt a file transfer.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
sedition

I was able to do a Chkdsk on the KOBO drive and it didn't indicate any errors.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How much free space is on the Kobo ?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
sedition

4 or 5 hundred megs.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I had a similar problem. In the end I settled on a factory reset and haven't had the problem since.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
sedition

@nogle thanks but I'm wondering if perhaps the admins of this forum might think about creating a sticky that compiles all of the various solutions to this problem since there are a bunch of other folks who are also suffering from the same issue.

When I first got my Kobo I didn't have this problem at all. Calibre worked perfectly.

The only things that have changed on my computer and therefor might have affected it are the following:

#1 Firmware upgrades to Kobo
#2 Upgrades to Calibre
#3 A USB Driver conflict ( I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 and installed the connectivity suite and drivers)

Any ideas would be swell.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

Have you tried posting in the Calibre forum here askign for ideas?

This DOES after all seem to be more of a Calibre issue than a Kobo one...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
sedition

I agree, it almost seems like a Calibre problem since my Windows XP can see the KOBO just fine.

Cheers