Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Touch
Looking for books like Janet Evanovich books.

I'm looking for some books for my wife.
She like the female investigator/cop type books like those Janet Evanovioch books.

So crime, thriller, investigation type stuff but with a female spin on it.

Thanks in advance
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Hunter13
Hunter13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k4b
Smile Janet Evanovitch books.

Hi - Have a lot of these books. Evanovitch series. JD Robbs Dallas series. Kim Harrisons Hollows series plus much more. If you are interested, email me at sjhbooks@outlook.com. I can email you a list of available authors and list of books by a few selected authors.
Hunter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
She might like Martin Amis' Night Train.

This book is told from the perspective of Detective Mike Hoolihan, a female detective who is charged with the task of finding the motivation for Jennifer Rockwell's suicide. Jennifer, a beautiful astrophysicist with a seemingly perfect life seems to have had no reason to kill herself. Thematically this book touches on cosmology and chaos theory, and their relation to the human condition as a possible motive for suicide.

Very noir-ish and a good read.

Also check out Literature-Map.com. Type Janet Evonovich into the window that opens and hit return. A new window will open with her name in the middle and a lot of authors names arrayed around her. The closer an author is, the more like her they are.

Last edited by MickeyC; 11-28-2013 at 12:11 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
PurpleStar
Fanatic
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Try the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. A is For Alibi is the first one. I've read the first two and will be reading the rest eventually. It's good so far.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Not a cop, but a female P.I: V.I. Warshawski, by Sara Paretsky. Based in Chicago.

There are quite a lot of books in the series. I enjoyed the first one or two I read, but then I went off them, mainly because of her pre-occupation with a blasted cat (or was it a dog? I don't remember, as it was a while ago that I read them).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PRS-650, iPhone 4, iPad 4
This request is easy enough. I suggest James Patterson's 'Women's Murder Club' series. starting with "1st to Die" and Lisa Scottoline's 'Rosato' series, starting with "Everywhere that Mary Went."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Victoria
Addict
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, kindle touch & kindle wp2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Try the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. A is For Alibi is the first one. I've read the first two and will be reading the rest eventually. It's good so far.
I second this recommendation - I've read half of the series so far, and they are a fun read, like Janet E - though not as lighthearted.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Lois Greiman Christina McMullen series is similar to the Plum series. Quite funny and great reading.

Helen
Edit: Also Kathleen Bacus Tressa Jayne Turner

Last edited by speakingtohe; 11-30-2013 at 07:37 AM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite
No matter what brand of book reader you have chosen to buy I like to recommend to people that you use amazon's site for what its very good at, recommending new authors and books. I would go to an amazon page on any of her books and look at the suggestion line, here is an idea of what Amazon has suggested:

James Patterson
Patricia Cornwell
David Baldacci
John Grisham
Michael Connlley
JD Robb
John Standford
Fannie Flag
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
No matter what brand of book reader you have chosen to buy I like to recommend to people that you use amazon's site for what its very good at, recommending new authors and books. I would go to an amazon page on any of her books and look at the suggestion line, here is an idea of what Amazon has suggested:

James Patterson
Patricia Cornwell
David Baldacci
John Grisham
Michael Connlley
JD Robb
John Standford
Fannie Flag
I have read books by all of these authors. Good books but none are vaguely similar to Janet Evanovich? What were they thinking do you suppose?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, Nook Glow, PB Touch Lux 623
I think asking for books "like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books" is too vague for a good recommendation.

Is it because you like female sleuths? Do you like the slapstick humor? Is it for the potential love triangle?

Each of those criteria could end up with a different list of authors/series.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
Genre fan
Genre fan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950, PRS-350
Fantastic Fiction http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk has a 'Visitors to this page also looked at these authors' box at the bottom of every author page.

I looked at Ms. Evanovich's page; in addition to the authors already mentioned in this thread and on that site, I suggest J A Jance.

Good luck!

BTW, Nora Roberts is J D Robb. Roberts is used for her romance books and Robb is for her mysteries.
Genre fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW, K-Touch, Nook GL, K-Fire
Janet Evanovich's novels are slapstick with a lot of humorous romance. The Free and Bargain Romance thread in the Deals, Freebies, and Resources Forum has many Evanovich fans. You would probably do well to pose your question there.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Most of the recommendations are good for books with a female protagonist. Not as funny/silly as the Plum series but good suggestions.

Try the "High Heels Mystery" box set by Gamma Halliday. About $7 for the set. A shoe designer gets caught up in crimes. Her dad comes into her life as a cross-dressing performer. Etc.

There was another series featuring "Bubbles" who gets caught up in some funny situations. Sara Strohmeyer is the author.

I got an audiobook of "Nice girls don't have fangs" which is a series of rom/com/vampire books by Molly Harper (Jane Jamison series). While I am not a fan of the paranormal romance, it had enough humor and silliness that I enjoyed it and found it similar to Stephanie Plum.

Oh - try the darynda jones grave series. About a woman in New Mexico that can talk to recently dead, has a 'presence' in her shower and some childhood friend that seems to haunt her.

Last edited by FatDog; 12-09-2013 at 12:37 AM.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #15
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iphone 4S Ipad3, Ipad Mini, Kindle Keyboard, Sony 650.
The closest I have seen to the humour of the Stephanie Plum series is a series of books by Diane Kelly about Tara Holloway, an IRS agent with an itchy trigger finger. The first of the series is called Death Taxes and a French Manicure.

I recommend trying this series
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote