Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
lemonstar
lemonstar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Calibre - slow to do everything

Just started trying to use Calibre so I have a lot of beginners questions but I'm searching these forusm first before I start asking. I'm using 0.8.39 - it took 97mins to convert a 211 page PDF file to EPUB and over 9mins to read the list of 9 books form the main memory and the 118 books on the SD card - does that seem slow?

As others have reported PDF's can present a lot of problems. What is the best way to convert PDF's using Calibre so that they render properly on the Sony? In my first attempt to convert PDF to EPUB I didn't attempt to change anything because I have no idea what I should change or what format to convert to.

The EPUB file I created using Calibre that is now on the reader seems to consist of an interleaved mix of:-
1) a page that look like a scanned image of a text page {that has been and through an optical character recognition process (i.e. 90% correct characters but many incorrect ones) } and
2) a page contaiing the raw scanned image of the same page

each subsequent page seems to follow this same pattern - badly scanned text on one page and the raw scanned image on the next.

Is there a step by step guide on what to do anywhere? Unfortunately I have loads of PDF's (I read a lot of non-fiction; educational texts - maths, physics, astronomy, science, environment, history, etc)

Thanks.
Neil
lemonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
First step in converting PDFs, is to get a decent PDF... what you describe is a PDF which has the original scan image interleaved with badly done OCR... whilst this allows a clear page to read (the scan) and searchable text (the OCR), it gives a terrible conversion as you end up with both interleaved and neither is much use on an eReader... if your other books were also PFS or conversions of this type then your time taken is expected as each page (in scanned and assembled PDFs) will be treated as a graphic rather than text...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
lemonstar
lemonstar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
OK thanks for that. The PDF opens and reads fine in PDF-XChange Viewer (I don't see a page as OCR'ed text and as a scanned image) - the text is searchable, I can highlight, copy and paste text into other applications - the text is complete and completely readable so the original PDF "seems" fine. My 211 page file ends up as a 5 page EPUB on my reader (although there are a lot more than 5 pages - they may all be there but it is very slow to turn over a page) and I can not change the text size (I can zoom but that's a hopeless feature) - I know it's as though it is an image but it doesn't seem that way in the original PDF file in the PDF-XChange viewer on the PC - is somethign going wrogn in the conversion and is there anythign I can do either in the conversion process or in preparing the orginal PDF using some other software? I've seen Bliss(?) mentioned but can't see a link to it in the wiki here - I don't know what it's for. I am prepared to hack about with the PDF file if I have a tool to enable me to do something. The only tool I have atm is "CAD-KAS PDF Editor 2.4" - if I open the PDF file up in that I can see the front & back page images fine but every other page is a blank (black unhighlighted, orgreenwhen highlighted) with a strange scratchy pattern across the bottom half - I don;t know if anyone recognises this or it means anythgin to any body - I may just have to accept that it won't be possible to use any or many of these PDF's on the Sony reader. Which is the quickest and most reliable way to find out which PDF's could potentially be used? Converting using Calibre is slow. Are there any other tools worth downloaded and trying?
TIA.
lemonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
There are a number of pdf editing/conversion tools around, some are free other commercial with varying degrees of price... I've had 'okdo-pdf-to-all-converter-professional.exe" mentioned and there may be a free version to try, give it a google...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
WRT to the other question, SD cards tend to be slow. And the 600 overall is slow.

When I got my 650 and loaded my books on it, it took a fraction of the time it did on the 600.

And after supporting my wife using my old 600 for a while, I gave up on the speed and got her a 650.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350: 3 Silver, 2 Blue!; Kobo Glo
Also it might help to add Calibre to your trusted applications in your AV program. Before I did that just starting up Calibre would take up to 3-4 full minutes with my library. After I added it to the trusted app list in Kaspersky, it now takes just seconds to load Calibre and all jobs are quicker as well.
Ripplinger is online now   Reply With Quote