Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #31
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I, for one, am going to use the occasion to re-read and enjoy his wonderful books, not debate whether it's correct to call it a "birthday".
Couldn't agree more Harry. BTW for anyone looking for good copies check out University of Adelaide library http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/. Really good quality digital copies.

Last edited by tponzo; 02-14-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: add info
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #32
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you been living at the bottom of a well for the last week?

We've not been able to turn on the TV or radio around here without hearing items related to the bicentennial of Dickens's birth!
Unfortunately, not so much here in the U.S.

Last edited by tponzo; 02-14-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: add to thought.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #33
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
BTW for anyone looking for good copies check out University of Adelaide library http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/. Really good quality digital copies.

Thank you very much for the link. But I don't think we have to go that far. The digital copies we have in our MobileRead library here are not so bad either.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #34
niggle
niggle began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I prefer Peter Ackroyd's biography of Dickens.
Depends how keen you are on Dickens:

If you want a detailed account by someone who was a personal friend, then Forster's Life of Dickens is indispensible (Forster was also involved in many of Dickens' business negotiations, so his account is valuable from that point of view) .
Edgar Johnson - Dickens, His Tragedy and Triumph was the first really thorough and scholarly investigation of Dicken's Life (I've only read the one volume Penguin edition).
Peter Ackroyd's imaginative and sympathetic account is a really good read. I've ordered Michael Slater's Life of Dickens from Amazon (looking forward to that!).
I read Claire Tomalin's biography of Dickens recently and thought it was well written and well researched.

Any of these (except Forster) will give you the all the basic facts. Forster glossed over episodes that didn't reflect well on his friend's reputation and didn't mention Ellen Ternan at all (although he certainly knew about her).

Last week I went to see "Dicken's Women" - a performance piece by Miriam Margolyes, here in Sydney. It was outstanding. I can't recommend it too highly to any Dickens enthusiast.
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #35
fantasyfan
Guru
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2G Wi-Fi only, iPad, iPod Touch 3G, iPad Air
The biography Charles Dickens {1945} by Una Pope Hennessy is quite interesting in that she explores the causes of the breakup of Dickens's marriage in some detail. In the process some light is thrown on the novels written during that period of the author's life.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 02-15-2012 at 05:30 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #36
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod Touch 4th gen
To paraphrase Bilbo Baggins, I don't know half of Dicken's works half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of it half as well as it deserves.

Seriously, I never got much out of Dickens, although I do recognize his skill as a writer. Maybe I should finally try reading Bleak House.

Anyway, his birthday is worth remembering!
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #37
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
The American public opinion whipped up by the press was that he should be grateful that he was being read and that expecting payment was pure greed.
I guess mine isn't the first "Entitled Generation" after all!
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote