Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Asterra
Member
Asterra began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2007
Device: PRS-505
Batch processing of PDB files?

Let's hypothesize that one has come across about 100 books in PDB format, and wishes to convert these into whatever works best with the iLiad. He has discovered that the only application which seems capable of producing a book-like format from these files - with paragraphs and indentations and the like - is Book Designer. The option seems to exist for one to load the PDBs into Book Designer one by one, saving them as HTMLs or what have you.

This could get tedious.

There's a two-step process here. Load a PDB, save as HTML. (I assume this will work well with the iLiad and the font won't be some generic digital thing.) A batch rendition of this process would be ideal, but it's not immediately obvious how one might achieve such a thing with Book Designer.

Anyway, that's where I'm at now. At the very least, it's a relief that there is an application capable of doing something with these books.
Asterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough
 
Adam B.'s Avatar
 
Posts: 1,695
Karma: 7194
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The iLiad should be able to read a PDB out of the box with the internal Mobipocket reader.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Asterra
Member
Asterra began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2007
Device: PRS-505
Ah, okay, thanks. That piece of information (and probably others) should possibly be updated at this otherwise useful resource:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Now to look into .LIT concerns.
Asterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough
 
Adam B.'s Avatar
 
Posts: 1,695
Karma: 7194
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
Ah, okay, thanks. That piece of information (and probably others) should possibly be updated at this otherwise useful resource:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Now to look into .LIT concerns.
If the .Lit file is unencrypted, I've created a script that will automatically convert it into a format readable with FBReader on the iLiad.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
wallcraft's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,979
Karma: 5183568
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
Let's hypothesize that one has come across about 100 books in PDB format, and wishes to convert these into whatever works best with the iLiad.
Note that "PDB" is a Palm file format that is used by several e-book formats. Check bytes 61-68 of your files (e.g. with a text editor, or under Linux with the file command) to determine the format. FBReader supports:

Aportis Doc (bytes 61-68 = "TEXtREAd")
zTxt ("zTXTGPlm")
plucker ("DataPlkr")
mobipocket ("BOOKMOBI")

MobiPocket is usually in a .prc file, but the other three are usually or often .pdb files. AportisDoc is now usually called PalmDoc, and the MobiPocket Reader will also read these files (which might be .prc or .pdb).

In any case, if you have a Windows or Linux Desktop, download FBReader and see if it reads your PDB files. If you have Windows, or any one of the many supported handheld PDA's or smart phones you can also try MobiPocket Reader.

See Palm Magic for a list of many PalmOS document types.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-03-2007 at 10:46 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DaleDe's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,501
Karma: 4597184
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that "PDB" is a Palm file format that is used by several e-book formats. Check bytes 61-68 of your files (e.g. with a text editor, or under Linux with the file command) to determine the format. FBReader supports:

Aportis Doc (bytes 61-68 = "TEXtREAd")
zTxt ("zTXTGPlm")
plucker ("DataPlkr")
mobipocket ("BOOKMOBI")

MobiPocket is usually in a .prc file, but the other three are usually or often .pdb files. AportisDoc is now usually called PalmDoc, and the MobiPocket Reader will also read these files (which might be .prc or .pdb).

In any case, if you have a Windows or Linux Desktop, download FBReader and see if it reads your PDB files. If you have Windows, or any one of the many supported handheld PDA's or smart phones you can also try MobiPocket Reader.

See Palm Magic for a list of many PalmOS document types.
You can find this list in an easier to read format and more filetypes in my PDB article on the mobileread wiki. If you haven't checked it lately you are missing a good resource.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
wallcraft's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,979
Karma: 5183568
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You can find this list in an easier to read format and more filetypes in my PDB article on the mobileread wiki. If you haven't checked it lately you are missing a good resource.
Thanks for the link. It would have saved me a lot of typing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help on pdb files kalugudong Other formats 1 01-20-2010 08:20 AM
Firmware-update switch tool (batch files) T_Frain_K Bookeen 3 01-19-2010 06:21 AM
Batch convert .lit or .rb files? mr.sam Sony Reader 11 12-10-2009 05:16 PM
Using Finereader to batch convert PDF files to RTF gdxf Sony Reader 9 10-28-2006 04:14 PM
Batch convert to plucker .pdb file. khaoohs Workshop 2 04-28-2006 11:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.