Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many Skins/Covers do you have?
1-10 Skins and Covers 24 38.71%
10+ Skins and Covers 1 1.61%
1-10 Skins 1 1.61%
10+ Skins 0 0%
1-10 Covers 26 41.94%
10+ Covers 0 0%
Other 14 22.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
Smile How many skins/covers do you have?

How many skins and covers do you have? Do you make them match? Switch whenever it strikes your fancy?

JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have just one cover, the Amazon lighted cover.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I'm assuming "Other" means "0", because I hate skins/covers/screen protectors with a passion. If the manufacturer wanted the device to be covered, they would've shipped it with a cover.

2 smartphones, 2 ereaders, 3 tablets, and 0 covers, skins, cases, wraps, screen protectors, or anything else. Naked is the only way to roll.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Assorted Nooks
No skins. Hate skins!
One cover/device for transport but most of the time I put the cover away when using them.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
1 skin, 2 covers. And I've only got 2 covers because I was mistakenly sent 2 when I ordered it.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
spindlegirl
Grand Scheme of Things
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (Black), K4, Moonreader pro on my LG Nexus 4 phone
I only have one cover that I bought from Gecko. It matches the red of my Sony T1. I can't see myself "collecting" any commercial offerings, since I bought the one cover just for practical purposes only.

if I want to get creative, I know how to crochet, knit, sew, to make something pretty for myself, but my laziness won over my tightwad nature when it came down to my decision to buy the cover I have now.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
I have three external hard drives, and they each have their own orphaned woolly (acrylic) glove to live in when not being used. My jetbook lite sleeps in an old Ecuador- or Peru-made-type bag with a zipper and an extra pocket for extra AA batteries. I keep a dozen thumb drives in another cotton bag with pockets and zippers. I have a new off-brand color ereader that I'm currently keeping in a zip-lock bag with the protection of a firm-ish foam insert that came in the box with the device and can protect the screen. Recycling is a lot cheaper than paying big bucks for fake leather. One time I bought some inexpensive clear-plastic "Griffen" screen protectors for my JBL, but they refused to stick, which was quite irritating (their website was down, so I couldn't complain). I wonder if more expensive ones would stick any better but doubt it so haven't indulged. My jbl's screen seems quite tough as it is. Oh, and I have a Sansa Fuse i keep in a baby sock
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I mostly agree with toddos, but I usually have at least a slip-case for my tech, to give some protection in transit. I always use them naked. And with nothing on the devices, either.

The only exception is my kobo, where a flip cover is the only reasonably-priced option I have so far found.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
spindlegirl
Grand Scheme of Things
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also agree with todos. I was actually planning on never using a cover for it. I see people on buses just toss their cell phones into their bag when they approach their stop, and why should an e-reader be any different.

I dislike the principle of the thing to some extent. You walk into an accessory store and you see a bunch of square to rectangular shaped pieces of material and one is a book cover, one is a Bible cover, one is a CD cover, and one is a cover for an Ipod Touch, and each of them cost over $40 bucks.

When my children were babies, people used to freak out that I didn't have a diaper bag, too. Why should I need one when I already had a knapsack to stick stuff in? An expensive gimmick only designed to be used for the first couple years...

I've always been a "toss it into my bag and who cares" girl. My gecko cover was kind of an impulse purchase because I was constantly wiping smudges and dust and little crumbs or whatnot (people can be slobby), whenever I went out. At home I use it naked, and I mostly use the cover when I go out.

What influenced me to finally get a cover was nothing but my own paranoia that Murphy's law would happen to me, and I'd naturally be the one to slip on ice, watching my e-reader fly out of my hands and shatter into a million pieces, taking my heart with it. A couple of times I gasped as my reader almost fell out of my hands onto pavement.

But at home, I like the feel of the plain reader in my hands.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro, Kindle 3/WiFi - Retired:Clie UX50, T415, ...
checked "other" becasue:
0 skins
0 covers

I read naked, though I do have one nice padded case for storage and transport. Cases cover all six sides and offer far better protection, particularly from dirt, than covers which only cover 3 or 4 of the 6 sides.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
No skins. Hate skins!
One cover/device for transport but most of the time I put the cover away when using them.
The only time I use my lighted cover is when I'm reading in the dark or traveling with my Kindle. Otherwise, I take it off when I read.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
I have two covers. The first I bought is a simple but nice black synthetic leather cover I got on eBay when I first got my Kindle. At that time, I knew I wanted a cover but still wasn't sure what kind so I went with something inexpensive to start with.

The second, and the one that's been on my K3 since the day the cover arrived in the mail, is an M-Edge custom case. Canvas-type material on the outside, leather spine, suede-ish interior. There are pics of it in the Kindle Cover thread somewhere. I have an M-Edge E-lumintator booklight tucked into the side.

I used a have a skin, but I took it off when Amazon replaced my Kindle and haven't put one on the replacement yet. Don't know if I'm going to.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Exactly 1 cover (IMHO this should have been a separate choice w/2-10 as the other) per device, for transport protection
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
spindlegirl
Grand Scheme of Things

Can someone tell me what a "skin" is? What part of the device is it applied to? What is it generally made of.

I confess to being quite ignorant of such things.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad, iPod touch
None. I find covers add to the bulk of the device and make it harder to slip into a pocket.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote