Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
wandalynn
Groupie
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Nook Touch $69 on Dailysteals.com (2/10/12)

The nook simple touch is $69.99 today (02/10/12) at Dailysteals.com. Plus it's Friday Free Shipping. I didn't see mention that it is a refurb but I could have missed it.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook color, nook touch
It's a refurb...

Right above product features:

Condition: Factory Refurbished
Packaging: Box
Warranty: 1 Year
Brand: Barnes & Noble
Model: NOOK Simple Touch
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
If you were lucky enough to get one of the B&N e-mails yesterday with the coupon for a $25 gift card with purchase of a Nook (if you use a Master Card), then you can get a new, not refurb, Simple Touch for $74, which is only $5 more, through 2/12. (And you might have to pay tax on it at BN, while Daily Steals doesn't charge tax in many/most states, I suspect.)

I'm a HUGE fan of refurb normally, but I'd take the $75 new one over the refurb one - $5 (and maybe tax) is not enough difference IMO. YMMV, especially if you're in a state with a high sales tax.

Oh yeah, sadly the coupons in yesterdays e-mail appear to be one-use/linked to my account, since my e-mail was embedded in the URL. So I'm not posting them...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I didn't see mention that it is a refurb but I could have missed it.
It's factory refurbished.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(1/2/3/dx), nook, nookcolr, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
If you were lucky enough to get one of the B&N e-mails yesterday with the coupon for a $25 gift card with purchase of a Nook (if you use a Master Card), then you can get a new, not refurb, Simple Touch for $74, which is only $5 more, through 2/12. (And you might have to pay tax on it at BN, while Daily Steals doesn't charge tax in many/most states, I suspect.)

I'm a HUGE fan of refurb normally, but I'd take the $75 new one over the refurb one - $5 (and maybe tax) is not enough difference IMO. YMMV, especially if you're in a state with a high sales tax.

Oh yeah, sadly the coupons in yesterdays e-mail appear to be one-use/linked to my account, since my e-mail was embedded in the URL. So I'm not posting them...
I believe it was also a one-day special (or, at least it was when I saw it on their website - maybe that one was separate from the coupon code).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Thank you for this. I realize that BN will most likely come out with new hardware in the next few months, but this was finally cheap enough that I will upgrade my old Sony.

Who knows where BN will be in the next few years, but I can't stand the proprietary format format crap that Amazon is pulling, and I'm confident the Nook will stay around, even if it has to be spun off.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(1/2/3/dx), nook, nookcolr, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Thank you for this. I realize that BN will most likely come out with new hardware in the next few months, but this was finally cheap enough that I will upgrade my old Sony.

Who knows where BN will be in the next few years, but I can't stand the proprietary format format crap that Amazon is pulling, and I'm confident the Nook will stay around, even if it has to be spun off.
Of course, although the nook hardware is "more open" (in that it reads the generic DRM model it is based on, while Amazon specifically does not), their actual books are just as proprietary DRM'd as Amazon's (with even stupider policies, not allowing the non-enhanced content of an enhanced book to be read on a different device or app and their entire process of pre-orders and the hassle of refunds when their billing system goofs up).

OTOH, you can read in store for the price of gas there and coffee/food while you sit in the cafe (I calculated once, when using this at Starbucks, where it seemed to get colder by the minute, that it cost me a lot more to read the free books there than just to buy the blasted things, even if they cost $20 each).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Of course, although the nook hardware is "more open" (in that it reads the generic DRM model it is based on, while Amazon specifically does not), their actual books are just as proprietary DRM'd as Amazon's
That's a fault of the DRM, not the underlying format. And every major store is doing the same thing by fragmenting their DRM. At least BN lets me download the file directly, something 'normal' ADRM doesn't let me do, and then it's trivial to remove the DRM.

I was seriously looking at Amazon with the announcement of KF8, as I want a format that can cleanly be shifted. However, the inability to determine which books are which format on Amazon, combined with the slew of proprietary tags killed that.

To each their own, I was not and am not trying to convince anyone of anything, I was simply expressing appreciation of the OP's actions.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
ab78727
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Mini, Nook HD+
Thank you for posting this. I got in with 3 minutes remaining so look forward to having fun with this device.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote