Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
DKCrotty
DKCrotty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem Generating Toc

I have just downloaded Sigil a few days ago, so its the latest release for Windows (64bit). I had issues, but finally got I all the HTML the way I wanted it. Then I noticed that the TOC was out of whack. It had lost its way when I deleted some pages. It seems like everything slid up, now the last few entries just give errors. SO I tried generating a new one.

No Luck at all. The generate toc window pops up,, but
There are no entries.
Clicking on either left right buttons do nothing, but since nothing is there, that may be right
Show Toc items Only does nothing, again, nothing there
The dropdown has only one entry Select Headings to include
Click ok and you end up with empty Toc .. so it did nothing.

There was one generated before and worked fine till I deleted some pages.
Its probably a new user error, but I cant find a way get it to work.

Rather that open a ticket .. I want to add one more thing.
I spent at least a couple of trying to get to work. I put an image in and am making the Sigil window smaller expecting the image to shrink. Did a few things and it worked. Then it wouldn't. etc. I finally figured out.... if the Find and replace window is open, it will not resize smaller than that window. Close it and it works. So, it may be something you want to address. I doubt many people would have noticed, but I have a talent for stumbling on odd issues.
DKCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
You might want to consider using codeview instead of bookview, just an advice. It will give you much more control.

There is a menu option Generate TOC. That should get you on its way, as long as your TOC entries are specified as headers.

Also, you probably need a ncx TOC and not an HTML TOC.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Turtle91
Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6/5/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Hello,
What Toxaris said is key: "...as long as your TOC entries are specified as headers."

You must use <h1> - <h6> tags around the items you want to show up in the auto-generated TOC.

eg.
<h1>Tile of the Book</h1>
<h2>Part 1</h2>
<h3>Chapter 1</h3>

etc...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
DKCrotty
DKCrotty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hum.

Well, I thought there was some Sigil magic or something going on. The headers were defined in something another way, but were working until I did that generate TOC.

Thanks
DKCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's only one way to define headers, and that's with "h" tags. Generating a toc automatically is always risky if there's a prexisting one. Sigil will replace the existing one (working or otherwise) with one it knows how to build--and that's one built from the existing h tag hierarchy. So if you auto-generate with no h tags (or some missing h tags), the generated toc will be empty (or incomplete).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
DK, the generate TOC sub-tool is the greatest thing going, but as posted, it depends on your having set up a hierarchy of headings using <h1> and so on, down to <h4> in some instances. The tool then allows you to include all or or only some of them. And note that this tool creates only the NCX or virtual TOC, not the html or actual TOC in the front of the book.

For the latter, you can use Create Html Table of Contents, but of course you must use the same hierarchical headings. Personally, I prefer my own layout, so I write this in advance. Sigil changes the links as I break the book into individual chapters and sections.

If you have used paragraph styles for your headings, just do a search & replace. And ensure that you have the heading styles defined in your style sheet.

Tools > Table of Contents IMHO is one of Sigil's greatest features.

There's an (outdated) Sigil user's manual that I can no longer seem to locate online. This appears to be it in PDF form: http://peterloveland.com/development...2.0-Manual.pdf

And here is the downloadable epub: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ide_0_7_2.epub
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you don't use header tags, you can also build the ncx manually using "Edit ToC". Just define the individual entries and link them to any xhtml chapter or id/anchor you like.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toc creation, window resizing