Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
ODB
ODB began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad2
Historic battle fiction?

Hi can anyone recomend some historic battle / heroic / sword play type authors please I've read all the gemmel one they are a bit lame but I still enjoyed them
I like roman and pre 1300ad stuff and more factal type fiction

I'm new to my iPad and in the library it is easy to find sth I want to read but I am finding it hard ti find sth with out hours spent searching through ebook library's

Many thanks for some help guys

ODB
ODB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Chronicles and The War Lord Series.
The first is set in 9Th Century During the Reign of Alfred The Great and is about the war between the Saxons and the Danes.
The other is a different retelling of Arthurian Britain.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
ametzler
Connoisseur
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
How about Paul Kearney's The Ten Thousand? This is not historically correct fiction but fantasy. However it is based on the the historical Anabasasis in the Persian Empire, and the battles are in that spirit.
Andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire, Tides of War, The Virtues of War and The Afghan Campaign. The former two are set in Ancient Greece, dealing with the battle of Thermopylae and the exploits of Alcibiades respectively, the latter two with Alexander the Great. Finally Last of the Amazons also ought to fit the bill very nicely.

Pressfield is one of the best military/historical fiction writers there is and if you're interested in the period I confidently predict that you'll love his books. Cornwell is excellent too of course.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
How about Paul Kearney's The Ten Thousand? This is not historically correct fiction but fantasy. However it is based on the the historical Anabasasis in the Persian Empire, and the battles are in that spirit.
Andreas
I'll second that one. Paul Kearney always gives great battle.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
The White Company by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
triptix
triptix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Centurion books by Simon Scarrow has sword play etc- maybe what you are looking for
triptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
The Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. The author took the Flashman character from the book Tom Brown's School Days and wrote a series of historical fiction novels around him. He places him at various battle scenes in the Victorian era; ex, The charge of the charge of the light brigade, the sacking of the summer palace, retreat from Kabul and so on.

They are hilariously funny and dead accurate. Harry Flashman, the main character, is a coward, a womanizer and a general screw-up. Anyway, it's a great series.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The White Company by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
+1

You might also take a look at Rosemary Surtcliffe’s The Eagle of the Ninth. Written as a kid’s book, and they made a pig’s ear of the movie last year (“The Eagle”), but a good read with heroic Roman swordplay. Her Sword at Sunset – a recasting of the Arthur story set in post-Roman Britain – was written for a more adult audience. And though not technically “historic,” the Conan the Barbarian books (Robert Howard and others) are chock-full of heroic swordsmanship.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
David Drake/Eric Flint series, Belisarius, but this is fantasy not factual.

From Wikipedia; WARNING spoilers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius_series

Last edited by morriss003; 02-08-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: added content
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
ODB
ODB began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad2
sorry not been around to reply until now , thanks for the suggestions guys there's plenty to look though and only a few ive read i like the fantasy as well a factual great stuff cheers
ODB
ODB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
The Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. The author took the Flashman character from the book Tom Brown's School Days and wrote a series of historical fiction novels around him. He places him at various battle scenes in the Victorian era; ex, The charge of the charge of the light brigade, the sacking of the summer palace, retreat from Kabul and so on.

They are hilariously funny and dead accurate. Harry Flashman, the main character, is a coward, a womanizer and a general screw-up. Anyway, it's a great series.
Seconded....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
It sounds like you are interested in a more European type setting but I just finished a series by Conn Iggulden based on the rise of the Mongolian Empire that I really enjoyed. He also wrote a series about Caesar that I've yet to read so I can't really recommend it.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
It sounds like you are interested in a more European type setting but I just finished a series by Conn Iggulden based on the rise of the Mongolian Empire that I really enjoyed. He also wrote a series about Caesar that I've yet to read so I can't really recommend it.
Conn Iggulden's 4 book Genghis Khan Series is great. Although I have the fourth one in my TBR pile.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Conn Iggulden's 4 book Genghis Khan Series is great. Although I have the fourth one in my TBR pile.
Apache
It's up to five books now. The fifth book came out in December:
http://www.amazon.com/Conqueror-Nove...9004340&sr=1-1
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote