Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Nook Classic "Sorta" Update?

This morning the Shop button on my Nook Classic would not take me to the store, but instead turned on the wireless and then booted me back to the main screen. After that I noticed that the wireless seemed to stay on extra long. I reset several times by holding down the on/off button and even removed the battery at one point, but nothing changed. So finally I went to the B&N online chat help and was told the cure would be to de-register and re-register the Nook. Knowing this would wipe out my non-B&N library, I told the helper elf to hold on a minute while I backed it up but when I came back from doing that there were panicky messages in the chat box urging me NOT to de-register. Turns out (as I kinda suspected actually) that this was a universal problem with Nook classics, apparently due to some sort of change they had made to the store software. The advice was to wait while they figured out what they had done and how to fix it - 24-48 hours supposedly. A minor loss of convenience since I have two dozen other ways of buying from them, but thought I should mention it for the benefit of anyone else experiencing this problem. Oh, and the wireless does seem to be staying on pretty steadily since I noticed this problem, so I have the Nook hitched to the charger
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
oregonaj
oregonaj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Ken, thanks for the information. We have two Nook Classics and I've been scratching my head about this problem since last night.

Jim
oregonaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
KCCupps
KCCupps began at the beginning.

Device: Nook First Edition
Thank you from me too! I have powered the Nook on and off several times today without getting shop. Everything else is working OK on it. I assume I can sideload until it is fixed but I miss the convenience. That is why I got the 3G model in the first place.
KCCupps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
By the way, I don't know where B&N stands with this problem (there was some discussion of this in their forums after I posted the original note here), but out of several suggested solutions, I tried the simplest and it worked. I turned off my Nook First Edition entirely, went to the local B&N, turned it on, hit the Shop button and it worked fine. Put it in sleep mode, went home, turned it on and "Shop" has worked ever since. Apparently this does not work for some people, and the solution B&N is pushing (while promising to fix the problem Real Soon Now) works for some and not for others as well. This is to take it back to zero - i.e., unregister, reset to factory defaults, then reregister. Of course that means a long download of everything in your B&N library if you have a lot of books and the loss of anything in "Documents" that you haven't saved.

I'm still seeing complaints about this in the Nook First Edition forum on B&N, so thought I'd mention possible solutions for those who don't have the time to wade through many pages of discussions and several different threads on the B&N site. Oh, and all of my understanding of this is WiFi, as I don't have 3G.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote