Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
possible mobi to epub error - lost chapter numbers

I have a retail mobi copy of Phil Rickman's The Lamp of the wicked

when I view mobi, in KIndle for PC or incalibre viewer, chapter numbers are all OK
but when I convert mobi to epub & view the outrput I am losing chapter numbers 1 through 9,
in sigil i see code like
Code:
<body class="calibre">
<div class="sgc-1" id="filepos22360"></div>

<h1 class="calibre1" id="calibre_pb_16">Foul Water</h1>
what i should be seeing is
Code:
<div class="sgc-1" id="filepos22360">1</div>
for all the 2 digit chapter numbers I do see a 2 digit number in that div line

UPDATE EDIT: bug report now filed, with mobi attached ( no DRM)

it is possible the the free sample from amazon will exhibit the same behaviour though.
does anyone have a hypotheses which could explain the lost numbers.
NB converting with heuristics OFF, no strange settings

UPDATE - looking harder - I also see this, on each of the problem chapter pages:
div.sgc-1 {height:0pt}
what puts that there ?

also from chapter 10 onwards the epub conversion puts each chapter number into its own xhtml file, followed by an xhtml which contains the chapter header text & the chapter text. see example below
don't know how to check if that is in the original mobi ?
Code:
</head>

<body class="calibre">
  <h1 class="calibre1" id="filepos212373">10</h1>
</body>
</html>

Last edited by cybmole; 02-02-2012 at 05:09 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
I got Kovid's fast bug response:
"That MOBI file uses two separate <h1> tags for the chapter number and the chapter. calibre inserts page breaks on <h1> tags and removes pages with too little content (the pages with numbers 1-9). Turn off the insert page break before setting.
status invalid"

I get that but don't understand why chapters 10 to end are not treated the same way ?

is the definition of "too little content" equal to one cahracter but not 2 or more characters ?

& is it sensible to delete even 1 character of text during a conversion. the conversion program does not know the possible significance of that 1 character ?

I'm not comfortable with a conversion program making hidden decisions to remove ANY text, surely it would be better to merge any short page with next page, not delete it entirely ?

PS I usually lose the "is this a bug" debates & expect to lose this one also, but to me -
throwing away a valid character of a book's text during a (default options) conversion IS a BUG, especially when
1. it is removed from within a <DIV.... /DIV> yet the surrounding empty div styling is left in.
2 the (mobi to epub) conversion used by calibre viewer behaves differently and does NOT do that.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-02-2012 at 06:15 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote