Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
newbie35
newbie35 began at the beginning.

Device: none
HTML to ePub creating unwanted white spaces

My HTML to ePub converstion via Calibre worked perfectly except in three separate places, where there is now large white spaces; almost as if it these spaces were page breaks. I've spent spent the last day exploring every known possibility (to me), but can't figure out why the issue is only in these three places. One is at the end of a chapter, and the other two are in the middle of the chapter. This issue does not show up on the HTML version. Can anyone help me??
newbie35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
One thing I can think of is that the conversion will split the input into multiple files within the ePub. This is done on chapter breaks and size. Depending on how you are viewing the ePub, at the breaks, there can be extra whitespace at the end of the file. For example, the Calibre viewer will put the start of a new chapter/file at the top of a page. So, as you scroll through the book, the page before the new chapter/file can have a lot of empty space. If his is what is happening, if you scroll backwards from the new chapter/file, the previous page will appear to full.

To check the above, you can edit the ePub via the "Tweak Book" option in Calibre or with Sigil. Either will let you see structure of the book. You will also be able to see if any strange extra code has been added that might cause what you are seeing.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
newbie35
newbie35 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank You

Thank you for the help. I am going to try your suggestions now. Wish me luck!
newbie35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
html to epub issue