Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
byebyeSony
byebyeSony began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Reasons I got the Kindle and got rid of my Sony Reader

Having owned a PRS-500, upgraded to a PRS-505, and most recently owning a Kindle (I returned the PRS-505), I can say that for me the Kindle experience simply blows away the Sony. I can completely understand if folks who own a Sony opt not to spend another 399 to get a Kindle (though I would suggest selling your sony on eBay), but if you are making a decision between the two, I would strongly recommend the Kindle over the Sony every time.

The breadth of titles available on Amazon, their price, the ease of finding content and purchasing it, the ability to get periodicals/newspapers (I subscribe to Time and the WSJ and love getting it every morning on my Kindle), the ability to lookup word definitions (I didn't think I would use this feature, but I have already used it numerous times), and the ability to highlight and make notes really sets this device apart.

I also cannot stress how nice it is to be able to manage just about everything from the device. Just the other day I was watching an interview on TV with an author whose latest book I found to be very interesting. I had my Kindle handy and simply ordered the book and had it delivered right then and there to the device. Now that was sweet
byebyeSony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Connect and other e-book vendors have lowered their prices to more or less match the Kindle prices on books, but the rest of your points are excellent ones. I'm glad you've got a solution that works for what you need to do.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeSony View Post
I also cannot stress how nice it is to be able to manage just about everything from the device. Just the other day I was watching an interview on TV with an author whose latest book I found to be very interesting. I had my Kindle handy and simply ordered the book and had it delivered right then and there to the device. Now that was sweet
That's the key. My Sony Reader is physically nicer, but so what. If i don't use it it does little for me. While the Kindle has me reading way more than I ever read in my Sony, getting content is just too easy/convenient!
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
That's the key. My Sony Reader is physically nicer, but so what. If i don't use it it does little for me. While the Kindle has me reading way more than I ever read in my Sony, getting content is just too easy/convenient!
No kidding! My OneClick account has melted down since I got the thing on Xmas!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
All the reasons I have ordered a Kindle even though I own a Sony.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Same reasons I took my Sony back and got a Kindle.

Content. Content. Content.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I suppose that it depends on what sort of reading you like. I like classics, so can get them from PD sources and rather enjoy making them into ebooks. A kindle would be a waste of money for me.

(Plus, if you're not in the USA then the sony or the cybook are the only real options.)
But I'm pleased that you all found a device that meets your requirements.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I do mostly academic reading... the Kindle having a good percentage of what I'm looking for at any given time really is what sold me - and I've continued to be impressed as the library continues to grow.

No one else has the books I'm generally buying as ebooks - so there wasn't much choice involved, outside of scanning my own books (which I've done occasionally). The magazines and newspapers are also great. So it is, as you say, about what you're reading.

If I was reading material only in the public domain I'd pick the Sony Reader, hands down.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeSony View Post
The breadth of titles available on Amazon, their price, the ease of finding content and purchasing it, the ability to get periodicals/newspapers (I subscribe to Time and the WSJ and love getting it every morning on my Kindle), the ability to lookup word definitions (I didn't think I would use this feature, but I have already used it numerous times), and the ability to highlight and make notes really sets this device apart.
As we have a parrot in the house, I don't think the Kindle could satisfy our need for papers for the floor and cage. Now it would be funny to let Charlie poop on the WSJ on the Kindle. But, we need paper papers and ePapers won't work very well. Pay the same for something we cannot reuse. That's one major downside to the Kindle right there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Luckily it's not mandatory to buy periodicals and there are still more books than the Connect store and usually at a cheaper price. Not really seeing the downside.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Connect and other e-book vendors have lowered their prices to more or less match the Kindle prices on books...
I wish this where true but this is not so. (I own a SONY)

I've found Kindle is far cheaper than any competitor. Amazon caps most of their books at $9.99, and while SONY does discount most of their books between 10%-30%

I have seen a few cases where SONY is cheaper but, by and by, Amazon's prices are much cheaper than any of their competitors (SONY/Fictionwise/Diesel-books/booksonboard)

Last edited by =X=; 04-09-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: clairified last paragraph
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Amazon's prices are much cheaper than any of their competitors (SONY/Fictionwise/Diesel-books/booksonboard)
And it will stay like that. Sony cannot compete with Amazon on ebook market.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Luckily it's not mandatory to buy periodicals and there are still more books than the Connect store and usually at a cheaper price. Not really seeing the downside.
As long as you don't mind the DRM, I'll pay a buck or two more for a book that I can eliminate the DRM on & not be locked to one device. For fiction I'm not sure Amazon really has that many more titles that a majority of folks are looking for. But then I haven't really paid attention to what Sony's store has at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I wish this where true but this is not so. (I own a SONY)

I've found Kindle is far cheaper than any competitor. Amazon caps most of their books at $9.99, and while SONY does discount most of their books between 10%-30%

I have seen a few cases where SONY is cheaper but, by and by, Amazon's prices are much cheaper than any of their competitors (SONY/Fictionwise/Diesel-books/booksonboard)
The $9.99 'cap' is true for most 'bestsellers' that are coming out as a hardcover equivalent, but from what I've observed they have plenty of books that are within $1 plus of minus of prices elsewhere. Depends on what you're reading.

For me if I had the Kindle I'd still be buying books elsewhere so I wasn't locked into anyone's DRM so I'll stick with my Sony since I already had it. I'm hoping that with more e-ink competitors out there now we'll see some better innovation in the next generation of devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
There are scripts to decript .azw files now.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The $9.99 'cap' is true for most 'bestsellers' that are coming out as a hardcover equivalent, but from what I've observed they have plenty of books that are within $1 plus of minus of prices elsewhere. Depends on what you're reading.
This is true, Most of the books I read are Financial/Investment books so they are all mostly $15-$60 (Most being in the $40 range)
So the cap does appeal to me as most of the finance books I'm interested in do have a cap. There are some that just do not have any cap and only reduce the price by 15%
Most other competitors only take off 15% tops, sony takes off on an average 30% but that is still much more expensive than amazon.

1/3 of the books I read are leisure and I have found that most stores have competitive in prices in these books. Unfortunately this is not the main reason why I bought a reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There are scripts to decript .azw files now.
Are these the mobi scripts?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote