Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Xoom, Kindle PW, iPad3, Fire HD2
Kindle Touch dictionary issues

There are a few threads here that mention 'dictionary issues' with Kindle Touch, specifically that translation dictionaries don't work properly.

After some investigation, my conclusion is that it actually works okay (just like K4), and actually it is much more functional than on previous Kindles since you have different default dictionaries for each language. The problem seems to be that some dictionaries aren't properly tagged with input and output language codes.

So for example a couple of dictionaries I bought long ago for my K2 do not work correctly (specifically, Merriam Webster French-English and Spanish-English). They show up as 'English' dictionaries rather than French and Spanish, respectively. I believe they have fixed the dictionaries, but the only way to get the fixed editions is to either remove them from your library on MYK and repurchase (I think that would work) or (as I plan to do) get Amazon CS to fix things so the updated dictionaries can be downloaded.

I just wanted to see if this squares with the experience of other people.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: Paperwhite & android
Yes, as noted in other treads dictionaries created works fine for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese as long as the correct language code is set. But does it does not work on other languages than these.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote