Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
SD Card Speed

Now that I have a Touch, I want to get a SD card for it.

But, considering that higher speed cards cost more, I don't want to get a card that is faster than the Touch can read/write to.

So... What is the fastest card that the Touch can use without wasting the speed?

For example, if a Touch can read/write at 5 Mb/sec, then a class 6 card is that 'fastest' that I should get.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Just be aware; some people DO seem to have issues with SD cards.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Touch
If you get an SD card no greater than 2 GB, you'll probably be ok .
I use a 2Gb card and have had no problems. It's a non-SDHC card. I don't know if that makes any difference.

A while back I got an 8gb card and it had lots of problems.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6"
mine is a 4GB 4 class sandisk micro sd card and till now it works fine.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
mine is a 4GB 4 class sandisk micro sd card and till now it works fine.
Yes, not everyone has issues with larger capacity SD cards.
But it's more common to have issues with larger cards.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Given the size of epubs (usually under 1 MB each), there is no real reason to seek out a faster microSD card. Class 4 will do you fine. MicroSD card speed is mainly only an issue when you want to copy large files (say, 720p videos) to or from it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Given the size of epubs (usually under 1 MB each), there is no real reason to seek out a faster microSD card. Class 4 will do you fine. MicroSD card speed is mainly only an issue when you want to copy large files (say, 720p videos) to or from it.
The speed is an issue when the card is inserted and the Touch is processing the new books. I understand that the size of the individual books is relatively small.

Processing the books on a card should take significantly less time on a class 10 card than on a class 2 card.

Basically, I want to get a card that isn't needlessly faster than the Touch can read/write to. But I do want to get a card that is as fast as the Touch can read/write.

I was hoping that one of the Kobo tech people would know the answer...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I did some timing tests on various class devices on my laptop as part of my backup system involves copying a 4 Gb file to one of a pair of SD Cards which are always in my shirt pocket. Oddly enough a class four SD Card, which allegedly would only transfer data a 4 Mpbs would transfer data at 8 Mpbs.

Personally I suspect the Touch hardware can't handle things all that fast. But I never attempted to figure out a good timing test for the Touch.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Oddly enough a class four SD Card, which allegedly would only transfer data a 4 Mpbs would transfer data at 8 Mpbs.
In the electronics industry, it is normal to down label product. Flash memory is made in lots, and after manufacturing it is tested to determine the speed of each chip.

If the manufacturer needs more class 4 parts this week than they have (as tested class 4 parts), they'll use class 6, 8, 10 parts. After all, it costs the manufacturer the same to make, and if they aren't selling as many of the faster labelled parts...