Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
ReadS
ReadS began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does Kobo Touch have typical sharpness?

Hello,

I've had the opportunity to spend about 10 minutes in a store trying a Kobo Touch device, and now I'd like to know if that is the exact quality of display all the other readers with E-Ink have?

I found the contrast too low (background is too grey) and (I don't really know if that's separate) the letters seemed blurry, at least at "normal" font sizes.

For those of you who are familiar with this, to me it felt unpleasant in a way that's similar to what looking at an LCD with subpixel hinting on (which I strongly dislike) feels like.

So, are they all the same, or is there a point for me to try a T1 in a store?
ReadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
They are all very similar, the Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch all use Eink Pearl screens. The one in the store was probably tuned to fully refresh the page (Full black) every 6 pages, so there is more ghosting than if you had it set to every page.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-22-2012 at 12:00 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes - the screens are the same on all these devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
ReadS
ReadS began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you. I was really looking forward to it. Oh well.
ReadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadS View Post
Thank you. I was really looking forward to it. Oh well.
Check it out again. As mentioned above, it was probably set to the default refresh of once every 6 pages. By the time you get to page 6 I find it quite blurry BUT on the Kobo Touch you can adjust the refresh rate to between 1 and 6 pages. It will look sharpest right after a refresh.
I actually heard someone say last week she was so used to the sharpness on her e-reader that she found paperback books kind of fuzzy now.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I actually heard someone say last week she was so used to the sharpness on her e-reader that she found paperback books kind of fuzzy now.
I find that too, paper doesn't look as white as my screen and the letters look too smudged.

I thought I should mention that the Kobo Touch did a firmware update last month (or early this month) and it made the text sharper.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yeah, some of the typefaces just don't/didn't look that great, on the Kobo. It is possible to make it look nice and sharp.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blurry, display, kobo touch, sharpness