Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Don't Even Know the Rights Words For This Question

I don't own a smartphone. Once you upgrade to Golden Allmine, does that make the PE a smartphone, and can you then use the camera to scan that square thing? I seriously have done a Google search (three) asking the question, but nothing comes up--except that "authenticator" works only on android systems newer than 1.5. Thank you.
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think you're asking about QR codes. You need an app for that, and it has little to do with the version of android you're running

This one should work:
http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...arcode-scanner
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Simple answer - NO.

Long answer - the PE does not have the necessary hardware to make it a smart phone so any phone apps that rely on specific hardware will never work.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
glow
eDGe and Nook fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: PE, EE, Nook Color, GL, and HD+, and too many others!
Although you can use the PE with an app to do VOIP (voice over IP) calling, as opposed to real cellphone service. Here is a thread about that:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144911

I've personally never tried any of the barcode scan apps to verify if they work with the PE's camera -- I'll have to check out that one that Nate the great posted!
glow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
it is autofocus missing from camera hardware.
the idiots at entourage used a 30 cents camera in this device. pretty useless.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
glow
eDGe and Nook fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
it is autofocus missing from camera hardware.
the idiots at entourage used a 30 cents camera in this device. pretty useless.
Vicinc, are you saying that the barcode reader app does NOT work?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Wow, five responses and I still sorta-kinda need translation. Just kidding. Thanks for the link, Nate the Great.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
Vicinc, are you saying that the barcode reader app does NOT work?
I'm not vicinc, however, I have tried several bar code scanners and none of them work on the eDGe.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
rebeltaz
Enthusiast
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
I have never been able to get any barcode app to work on the PE, either.
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
glow
eDGe and Nook fan

OK, thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
OK, thanks guys.
But does that thread you posted to or started about the VOIP still hold? You can use the PE as a phone? Great thread, and thanks for posting it.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
But does that thread you posted to or started about the VOIP still hold? You can use the PE as a phone? Great thread, and thanks for posting it.
I use http://www.nettalk.com/ and it works fine. I don't think you can get it from the market because our device is not "compatible", but if you find the apk it works fine. Here is one
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I once tried the QR Scanner app but it just caused my PE to crash. I then found another bar code app that worked on traditional barcodes but not QR codes - but even then it was hit and miss because it wasn't able to focus on the bar code to get a good picture of it.

So simply put, don't count on being able to do barcode stuff with your PE.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
the barcode reading software is not working as the camera is missing the autofocus which is necessary for any barcode app. even a 40 dollar Chinese android phone has autofocus on camera those days.. so camera is beyond any use apart if you want to take purposely cr*p pictures. BTW lets start a thread with pictures taken by our edges, some kind of competition?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I agree that the camera is basically useless. In their defense, they obviously intended it for voice chat, and it would probably work great for that purpose. I just want to say . . . yes, you can use the eDGe to make phone calls. My favorite application for this purpose is Groove IP. It's probably about $5 in the Market.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote