Device: Nook
Question: DRM Removal

Hardcopy of textbook
$63.70 used
$84.95 new
$42.50 new rental
$36.15 used rental

eBook
$60.00 new (of course), can only use it with proprietary software that does not work with what I want. I can only use the vitalbookshelf, rather than my reader, because they dont support android.

I read that Calibre will not support DRM removal because it is illegal.

Now for the question: I bought the book. How is using it how I want to use it illegal? It's MY BOOK. I BOUGHT IT. This is the same logic as saying "You can only read that book you bought at Barnes and Noble in a Barnes and Noble store."

It isn't "Piracy" if I OWN it. It isn't "Theft" if I OWN it.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre does not deal with DRM, it will deal with DRM free books - you can take care of the DRM yourself, you are a big boy. Discussion thereof is not a great idea here, however I'm sure ol Apprentice Alf knows a thing or two...
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Halcyon
Halcyon began at the beginning.

I already took care of the problem I've got. I'm simply raising the question, which you haven't exactly provided an answer for.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Hardcopy of textbook
$63.70 used
$84.95 new
$42.50 new rental
$36.15 used rental

eBook
$60.00 new (of course), can only use it with proprietary software that does not work with what I want. I can only use the vitalbookshelf, rather than my reader, because they dont support android.

I read that Calibre will not support DRM removal because it is illegal.

Now for the question: I bought the book. How is using it how I want to use it illegal? It's MY BOOK. I BOUGHT IT. This is the same logic as saying "You can only read that book you bought at Barnes and Noble in a Barnes and Noble store."

It isn't "Piracy" if I OWN it. It isn't "Theft" if I OWN it.
You do not buy or own an DRM'ed ebook. You buy a license to do those things with the ebook file that are allowed by that license. The only right you can be sure of is the right to read the ebook. If you are lucky perhaps you are allowed to lend the book once, or let it read aloud. The one thing that license certainly will not allow is for you to remove the DRM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Halcyon
Halcyon began at the beginning.

This is where I'm confused. What is the difference between buying and eBook to read on another device so that you can cart your entire library with you wherever you go, and buying a physical copy?

When money exchanges hands, it is a purchase unless it is specifically a "rental," like coursesmart for example.

For that matter, if I DID share this thing, because of the little tagline post PDF, I'd get prosecuted, because it has my email address on every damned page. My big issue is along the lines of "Why are they making it so damned hard to use what I buy?"

Last edited by Halcyon; 01-18-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
This is where I'm confused. What is the difference between buying and eBook to read on another device so that you can cart your entire library with you wherever you go, and buying a physical copy?

When money exchanges hands, it is a purchase unless it is specifically a "rental," like coursesmart for example.
The following quotes are from the Kindle license agreement:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200506200
For other DRM systems you will find the same kind of license terms. Bold parts made bold by me.

"Use of Digital Content. Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider. The Content Provider may include additional terms for use within its Digital Content. Those terms will also apply, but this Agreement will govern in the event of a conflict. Some Digital Content, such as Periodicals, may not be available to you through Reading Applications."

"Limitations. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense, or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party, and you may not remove or modify any proprietary notices or labels on the Digital Content. In addition, you may not bypass, modify, defeat, or circumvent security features that protect the Digital Content."
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
KevinH
Guru
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

And the day all online ebook vendors put up the following statement in big bold letters virtually filling your entire screen ...

"Warning: You are *not* actually *buying* this ebook even though we are charging the same or higher prices than actual printed books you could actually own. You are only licensing/renting it. And take note, this "book" can only be read on our devices so we are locking you in. If someone else comes out with something better, you will not be able to read "our" ebooks on it and if we go out of business you are shit-out-of-luck. Are you sure you want to proceed with this "not-quite" purchase?"

*each and every time* someone clicks on a buy button, then I will follow that license. Until then that are just trying to get the best of both words and frankly, consumers are getting sick of it.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The following quotes are from the Kindle license agreement:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200506200
For other DRM systems you will find the same kind of license terms. Bold parts made bold by me.

"Use of Digital Content. Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider. The Content Provider may include additional terms for use within its Digital Content. Those terms will also apply, but this Agreement will govern in the event of a conflict. Some Digital Content, such as Periodicals, may not be available to you through Reading Applications."

"Limitations. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense, or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party, and you may not remove or modify any proprietary notices or labels on the Digital Content. In addition, you may not bypass, modify, defeat, or circumvent security features that protect the Digital Content."

Last edited by KevinH; 01-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Did you actually read the paragraph about DRM that the calibre DRM error message links to? It does not say that removing DRM is illegal, it says that distributing tools that facilitate the removal of DRM is. Which was made explicitly illegal in the US by the DMCA.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone & nook Glow
To the OP: What you wish to accomplish is much easier if you rent the books through B&N/nook study. The encryption is the same as a regular nook book. At least it is for the half dozen or so books I've rented from them.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote