Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
baszek
baszek began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
kindle keyboard wont start or charge

Hello
I woke up today and saw that my kindle keyboard is stucked with that amazon tree screen and status bar with minimal progress. I have tried few times to restart it (holding 30 sec power slider) and once it even went to that "amazon tree screen" with a half status bar but it froze then (status bar didnt go further) . I tried few times to restart it but it has never completed restart to the end.
Now some how status bar is going further then it used to be (almost a half of a progress bar, but after that it is restarting again)
That orange charging light is on only when prograss bar is going further, when it gets stucked chargin light is off.
Now I am keeping kindle always with charger plugged in. I also tried to take out battery (by the way I measured it and it has got 3.77V - fully charged should have 4.2V ?).

When I ended this topic kindle froze with status bar at the beggining with charging light off.
baszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
Charge it overnight w/ a wall charger, and do a hard factory reset in the morning (hard reboot the device while holding the HOME button pressed, then follow onscreen instructions).

This will, of course, wipe user content from the device, but I'm guessing you don't care much about that at this point .

It might not fix the issue, but it can't hurt and might even actually help .
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
baszek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Charge it overnight w/ a wall charger, and do a hard factory reset in the morning (hard reboot the device while holding the HOME button pressed, then follow onscreen instructions).

This will, of course, wipe user content from the device, but I'm guessing you don't care much about that at this point .

It might not fix the issue, but it can't hurt and might even actually help .
I have plugged in wall charger, but there is no charging light at all. Kindle keeps rerstarting all the time and freezes at startup. Amazon offered me free change to kindle touch if I will send them my kindle keyboard (Kindle keyboard is out of stock - I am not sure If I will like that new touch version)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The same thing just started happening to my K3 keyboard a few days ago. It continually freezes and then reboots like 2 or 3 minutes later. It doesn't matter if I'm reading or not. It'll do it at screensaver screen too. The time between it freezing is very random. Sometime's it'll freeze up almost immediately after rebooting where I'll be navigating the book list and never make it back to the book I was reading. Sometimes I can read several pages before it freezes. Other times it'll last 30 minutes. I've been charging it overnight every night since this started. Before this I would charge it like once a month, maybe. I've factory reset it twice. I contacted Amazon today was offered a discounted refurb Touch as a replacement but I don't want a Touch
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
rcentros
Addict
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST (2), Kindle 4 (Black), Kindle Touch 3G & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baszek View Post
I have plugged in wall charger, but there is no charging light at all. Kindle keeps rerstarting all the time and freezes at startup. Amazon offered me free change to kindle touch if I will send them my kindle keyboard (Kindle keyboard is out of stock - I am not sure If I will like that new touch version)
You could accept the Kindle Touch and, if it turns out you don't like it, you could sell it and pick up a Kindle Keyboard at a pawn shop, or on Craigslist or at eBay. Currently in my area (DFW) an almost new Kindle Keyboard (WiFi only) is selling for $40. The fonts are a little different on the Kindle Touch, but it has a lot more features (which may, or may not, be important to you).

If you want a Kindle with an almost identical screen to the Kindle Keyboard (and you don't use the keyboard a lot), the Basic Kindle (non-touch) might not be a bad deal. Very thin and very light.

Personally I think they're all good. I mostly just read, but I do like the Kindle Touch's Translate feature.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
rcentros
Addict
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST (2), Kindle 4 (Black), Kindle Touch 3G & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraqh3d View Post
I contacted Amazon today was offered a discounted refurb Touch as a replacement but I don't want a Touch
You might want to take the Touch, then sell it, and then buy a refurbished or used Kindle Keyboard. They're still widely available on Craigslist, eBay or at Pawn Shops. You can also buy them used at Amazon.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:20 AM   #7
baszek

I think I will try kindle touch - I have never used touch e-ink version so I have to test it on my own.
By they way there is written in my amazon account that they send me new kindle touch - they did not mention anything about "refubrished device", but acctually it does not metter to me.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
You should double check what you're getting. They were very upfront with me that the replacement would be a certified refurbished device with a 1 year warranty, just like new. And they also said what they can offer depends on what they have in stock. I kept checking with them every day and just managed to get the basic non-touch Kindle as a replacement.
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote