Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
This is going to sound dumb...

This is going to sound dumb, but I got royally snookered... really sort of snookered myself.

I downloaded a PDF of an old novel LATE last night and popped it into Calibre to convert it to an epub. That part went great, so I decided to quickly edit the metadata and use calibre to grab a cover for the book... Everything went beautifully, the epub converted nicely and I read nearly half of it before collapsing once more to dream anew...

Tonight I grabbed my Glo and darned if I didn't have a crack diagonally across the lower right corner! Sonovapup, how'd THAT happen? Turned it on, and checked it out, and lo and behold the cover I downloaded had a sort of fine grayish looking creased bend and resulting irregularly shaded triangle to the corner and my screen was fine! DOH!

Figured you could all use a good chuckle. Damned if it didn't look like a crack! Never saw the grayish area on the smaller image(thumbnail) presented in Calibre. So the moral of the story is, "watch what you download from the internet". Even if it is just a cover... Probably a great April Fools Prank, guess I'm early this year.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-03-2015 at 09:45 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; iPad air; Kindle PW2; Kobo AuraHD
LOL--sounds like something I would do! Glad it was only the graphic and not a true crack in your screen!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo, PW2
That is funny!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I suppose it mostly got me because I never saw it last night and then when I picked it up with the cover displayed tonight... I freaked a little. Just subtle enough looking to make you wonder. Reminded me of those fake bullethole stickers they once upon a time sold in comic books, uh, graphic novels, when I was a kid.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Glo, Fire HD 6
That would freak me out, too, since I recently broke a Kobo. Now I am paranoid about breaking another.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
ElWorm
Snapper
ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.ElWorm solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o
I was reading a science fiction novel on my Kobo a few weeks ago, and the start of each new chapter was denoted by a solid black rectangle. A few chapters into the book, I noticed there seemed to be some kind of text inside the rectangle. Thinking I'd found a hidden message or an easter egg, I spent a few minutes trying to see what it said...then, flipping between the previous page and the page with the chapter rectangle, I realized I was seeing the ghosting from the text on the previous page
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
My KOreader sleepcover for when there is no bookcover to use:

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Luck;
Ken

Ok, look here.

Maybe, here.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-04-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Posts that are off-topic to this thread will be deleted.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-04-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I hate to admit I've had the same issue . A James Bond compendium edition where the cover was a "picture" of the spines of the books in a pile. When taking it out of a table drawer if you glanced quickly it looked like the screen had shattered with horizontal lines across it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote