Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast
fr0stbit3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen Basic
Exclamation Kindle down! :[

Just saw Dave's kindle teardown video on EEVBlog and wondered how my wifi only kindle looks like on the inside.

It was all fine and everything worked.I did nothing but open the silver boxes and touch some stuff. But suddenly.. i'm just stuck on one screensaver. Nothing is working. The power slider does not light the green light.

Funnily my kindle doesn't have the reset button either.. :|

Though i don't think it is a software issue.

Something is dead! :|

Please help!

Last edited by fr0stbit3; 01-16-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Typo
fr0stbit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
You opened the EMI shields and poked the CPU and other important components? Did you ground yourself?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

No. No poking at CPU. I was wearing an anti-static wrist band,too.

On connecting it to a PC the orange light lights up. Nothing more. So it's not really dead. hew:
Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Just one more reason why I hesitate to play with the innards of my own Kindle.

I've had some devices that go stupid at times (after some fiddling, so I know it's more than likely my fault), and waiting for the battery to discharge completely seemed to allow me access to the system again. Perhaps if the battery on yours completely drains, you'll be able to get back in and fix things?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Have you tried hard-reset (holding power switch for 20s) or factory reset (reset+home button)?
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

Done! :D

Once the orange light started coming up I used the reset and it worked. Screen flashed on and off a few times then came the bootscreen and it was up!

Seems it just froze and needed a reset.

Thanks guys! I can breathe now..

Also.. Why is there a big black plastic unit where the AnyDATA GSM unit should be? Why occupy space and weight?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Yeah, you probably shouldn't go opening up your Kindle if you don't want to run into problems.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0stbit3 View Post
Also.. Why is there a big black plastic unit where the AnyDATA GSM unit should be? Why occupy space and weight?
IMHO just to make sure back cover does not bend when pressed.
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote