Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Any idea what causes suddenly slow wifi?

Over the last couple of days I've noticed that WiFi on my Fire has become really slow. My connection speed from the modem to my ISP is clicking along at 18megs, but I couldn't watch a YouTube video without buffering every 15 to 20 seconds.

My first thought was to reboot the modem and the router. When that didn't help I checked the settings on my Fire. Everything seemed fine until I saw the Link Speed was 1 Mbps. My Android phone gets 65 Mbps from the same network so I knew something was wrong.

There don't seem to be very many user accessible network settings, so I resorted to a factory reset. That brought my speed up to 63 Mbps. I thought everything was fine, but when I came upstairs to the computer room (the modem and router are downstairs) I dropped back to 1 Mbps. The phone sitting right next the the Fire is steady at 65 Mbps.

I'm really frustrated. I didn't have any problem anywhere in the house until 3 days ago.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on and if there's a fix?

Edit: I discovered that telling the Fire to forget the connection to my home network and reconnecting restored the speed to 63 Mbps, but I really don't want to have to do that every time I use it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Did you run a test at speedtest.net
did you have the microwave on at the time? (Known to kill wifi signals)
Did you use the wifi analyzer app to check your signal strength and check to be sure you were on a good clean channel and not getting wifi bleed over from your neighbors
Did you install anything right before this started happening
No you should not have to reset it each time and it should remember it and reconnect each and every time

Go into your router settings and make sure they are ok
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Microwave wasn't on.

My signal strength is good, and much stronger than any of my neighbors.

After resetting I did install a few things, but nothing that would have done anything to interfere with the WiFi that I can think of, and none of my router settings have changed (I checked).

It actually reconnects without any problem, it just connects at the wrong (really slow) speed. It seems to happen any time the Fire goes to sleep, shuts off the WiFi and has to reconnect.

Okay, I just checked the speeds with Speakeasy.net and they're about the same whether the Fire is at 1 Mbps or 63 Mbps. I'd say it was a display bug, but both Netflix and YouTube were buffering badly at 1 Mbps and not at 63 Mbps.

I'll do some more testing and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Last edited by carld; 01-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Keep WiFi on all the time.

I had noticed that, when I turn WiFi off for long periods of time, it sometimes fails to connect later and, when it does, the speed is unusually SLOW.

If I keep WiFi on all the time, it stays connected and the speed is high.

When WiFi does get hard to connect or slow, just do a full shut down and then turn it back on. That maneuver cleared the WiFi problems for me.

In the future I'll leave WiFi on all the time since it never acts up that way.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote