Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Many USB ports in the front of your PC are weaker. The ones in the rear usually have more power/voltage.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Many USB ports in the front of your PC are weaker. The ones in the rear usually have more power/voltage.
That can definitely be true, but usually only in the cases of lower quality PC's. The actual ports themselves are usually capable of powering devices just as well. On cheaper PC's they usually put in a secondary lower quality USB chip to run the front ports though
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
It varies quite a bit. The front ports on my old computer were not powered at all (it was like using an unpowered hub - would not charge my ipod).
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Note 2, Nexus 7 32 gig. (2013), Dell 2350 , touch screen 23
I have plugged my fire in to the usb of my pc then transferred files to and from the fire but instead of disconnect the cable I tap the disconnect on the fire screen and go about my way installing apps etc. I agree it will not charge the fire and it will not run it but at lease I can quickly do what I need.
Also I have not verified how long it takes but I have used my kindle 3 cable and charger to charge the fire when the fire was a sleep.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Hi Jessica

I respect your opinion, but don't share it or see it as a big deal.

1st, we have the technical factor, which I believe was explained here by others users. The Kindle Fire demands too much current to be charged via USB. This is a "typical" issue found in most tablets and the main reason is because the power consumption due the main screen. Nook Color had same behavior I think, and iPad.

The 2nd thing is the USB port itself. While USB has some standards, some laptops provide less output than others, so there is a chance that the device won't get the current it actually needs to be fully charged (remember, the voltage should be the same)

And last but not least, the user's factor. I guess that for Amazon, it is not a critical thing to allow customers to use the Kindle Fire while is being charged. It would imply serious engineering changes on that regard (see #1 and #2) where the power consumption needs to be tweaked to a level that charging via USB only could be a reliable and quick option. That's kind of difficult at this moment with a tablet, not with eink readers. Again, because the amount of current needed to charge a device with LCD type screens.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-19-2012 at 05:07 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
It varies quite a bit. The front ports on my old computer were not powered at all (it was like using an unpowered hub - would not charge my ipod).
My netbook has 4 ports but only one is powered. My Desktop front has powered usb ports but the ones in back are non powered.

It depends on the manufacturer really.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote