Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
10-Self Published Novelists who Made it Big in 2011

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2012/...ncy-C.-Johnson

I thought this was an interesting article from the Christian Science Monitor.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, iPhone 5, Sony T1, NOOK HD+
One page at a time for small blurbs is so annyoing!

The link above has a short description of each book, but if you are like me and only want to skim the titles, here is the list:

1. Nancy C. Johnson "Her Last Letter"
2. Victorine Lieske "Not What She Seems"
3. Stephanie McAfee "Diary of a Mad Fat Girl"
4. Heather Killough-Walden "The Spell"
5. John Locke "Lethal People"
6. Courtney Milan "Unlocked"
7. Darcie Chan "The Mill River Recluse"
8. Chris Culver "The Abbey"
9. Rick Murcer "Deceitful Moon"
10. CJ Lyons "Blind Faith"
sakura-panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Is it just me, or do almost all of the covers look really cheesy?

Or do people not care about that stuff anymore?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are self published you might not care as much. How many of these books were available as e-books? There are a few covers that I recognize from free offers on the Kindle, I wonder if some of the books started as a free promotion, goot good reviews, and then were bumped up in price. If so, it shows the possible strength of that method.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
spindlegirl
Grand Scheme of Things
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (Black), K4, Moonreader pro on my LG Nexus 4 phone
"The Mill River Recluse" is on Smashwords for 99c
DRM free and in multiple formats.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, Nexus 7
Quote:
But here are 10 novelists who struck it big last year, pushing their self-published e-books all the way to The New York Times bestseller list.
I guess they are all ebooks? I'm wondering why I've never heard of any of these before, except The Mill River Recluse and that just from browsing Smashwords. Not that I know every ebook published, but it seems like we on MR would be a little more up on these things than people not on MR.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
The format of the article is poor. Making us click next to see all the books/authors is not good. The CS Monitor really needs a webmaster who know what the heck to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The format of the article is poor. Making us click next to see all the books/authors is not good. The CS Monitor really needs a webmaster who know what the heck to do.
More page clicks = more ad revenue
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I copied the list from sakura-panda and added GR's rating to each book.

1. Nancy C. Johnson "Her Last Letter" 3.08
2. Victorine Lieske "Not What She Seems" 3.56
3. Stephanie McAfee "Diary of a Mad Fat Girl" 3.32
4. Heather Killough-Walden "The Spell" 3.99
5. John Locke "Lethal People" 3.65
6. Courtney Milan "Unlocked" 3.97
7. Darcie Chan "The Mill River Recluse" 3.47
8. Chris Culver "The Abbey" 3.24
9. Rick Murcer "Deceitful Moon" 3.64
10. CJ Lyons "Blind Faith" 3.19
Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They do, obviously, have one. After all, the more pages you have to load, the more ad revenue it makes for the site.

EDIT: Silly me not reading even one post down before replying. :P They really need to set this forum software to allow users to delete their own posts...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

What are GR's ratings?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What are GR's ratings?
I would assume GoodReads. But assuming gets me in trouble a lot, so you may want to wait for confirmation.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
They do, obviously, have one. After all, the more pages you have to load, the more ad revenue it makes for the site.
Not when I use AdBlockPlus.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I guess they are all ebooks? I'm wondering why I've never heard of any of these before, except The Mill River Recluse and that just from browsing Smashwords. Not that I know every ebook published, but it seems like we on MR would be a little more up on these things than people not on MR.
Courtney Milan is an established and well respected writer of historical romance.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would assume GoodReads. But assuming gets me in trouble a lot, so you may want to wait for confirmation.
Confirmed