Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Slusho64
Slusho64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
USB network can't connect

I jailbroke my 5.3.1 paperwhite and installed usbnet. I typed in ";un" into the search bar and hit enter and plugged it into my computer (Windows 7). It installed the driver and I opened my SSH client (WinSCP) and I put in the default IP I found in some tutorial I can't find now and then I tried root and framework as logins and "mario" as the password (but I tried using none) and nothing worked. I'm really unclear on how to do this because there doesn't seem to be any clear tutorial on doing this on the Paperwhite. The only reason I'm doing this is to get the Unified Application Launcher (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326) to work, since the normal Touch launcher doesn't seem to work on the Paperwhite, and it crashes when it launches, maybe because I don't have an extensions folder in the inaccessible disk location.

tldr: How do I access my Paperwhite's file system and install launcher things?

Thanks!
Slusho64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You do not need USBnetwork to install the new launcher.

Read the top post of the new launcher thread -
**INCLUDING** open and read **ALL** of the 'spoiler' tabs.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
EDIT: FOR THOSE ABOUT TO READ THE REST OF THIS THREAD --> The answer was indeed to install the kindlet jailbreak as indicated below.

Kindlet Jailbreak.
Put KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2 in documents folder. Just like a book.

Run it by clicking icon.

Last edited by twobob; 01-23-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Conclusion
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
Slusho64

I did put it in documents and run it by clicking, at which point it said that it didn't work. The part that says "It should read thru the /mnt/us/extensions folder and build a list of your extensions" made me think that the extensions folder was in a location accessible only through USBnetwork. Am I wrong and this file path should be created starting at the root of the drive space found when plugged into a computer (the directory with the "documents" folder)?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There have been only two occasions that I can think of where it failed to work

1) when the extensions directory was actually missing
(I will go add a picture of where it is - No, it's not a special place - it's the folder structure you see when you attach the kindle via USB - The FAT root
(/mnt/us when you attach via USBNETWORKING)
note that the USBNETWORKING application is not of the list of REQUIRED things.

2) When one of the - extensions config - files was wrongly line ended. (DOS line endings)
There is a tool dos2unix that I have attached to post 3 to check this.

Worst case scenario you would simply swap the extensions into a backup folder (any, just make one) and then move them back one by one, see which one breaks the Launcher. Then let me know so I can document it or try to do something about it.

I updated the main docs to reflect this more clearly. thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_153.png
Views:	536
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	99878  

Last edited by twobob; 01-22-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: more details
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slusho64 View Post
I did put it in documents and run it by clicking, at which point it said that it didn't work. The part that says "It should read thru the /mnt/us/extensions folder and build a list of your extensions" made me think that the extensions folder was in a location accessible only through USBnetwork. Am I wrong and this file path should be created starting at the root of the drive space found when plugged into a computer (the directory with the "documents" folder)?
Ah, so -

The (internal system) path: /mnt/us/
**IS** the root of the (external storage view) drive space.

Translation:
Internal: /mnt/us/extensions
External: Kindle:/extensions

Same-same-oh.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Slusho64

I have an extensions folder in the root of the Kindle and nothing inside, so it shouldn't fail. I have screenshots attached to show you that this is not the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_22T17_08_13-0500.png
Views:	529
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	99907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	485
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	99908  
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have an extensions folder in the root of the Kindle and nothing inside, so it shouldn't fail. I have screenshots attached to show you that this is not the case.
It says there was nothing to open.
Is that not normal for an empty directory?

Put something in the directory - it will work.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Slusho64

Okay, the way twobob put it, I thought it would run without anything in it for troubleshooting purposes. I'm trying to use the dos2unix application, but it's just an extensionless file inside a zip, so how do I use it? Can someone point me to an extension that's confirmed working with the PW as well?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
twobob

extensionless?

Strong sense you have a windows background.

put on kindle

dos2unix /mnt/us/extensions/*

This is the testing phase of the application. there will be hiccups.

better documentation comes with time. I assume you DO have the kindlet Jailbreak installed...

please read the /mnt/us/developer/kindletlauncher/work/crash.log and share it's contents. much obliged.

Last edited by twobob; 01-23-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Slusho64

Yes, like most people, I am a Windows user. I do not have a computer science degree nor a strong programming background. Let me see if I understand you: you want me to put the unzipped file into the extensions folder, and then from some terminal-esque program on the Kindle, type "dos2unix /mnt/us/extensions/*" and then post the contents of the crash.log file?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
mike.s
mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KPW
Quote:
Yes, like most people, I am a Windows user. I do not have a computer science degree nor a strong programming background. Let me see if I understand you: you want me to put the unzipped file into the extensions folder, and then from some terminal-esque program on the Kindle, type "dos2unix /mnt/us/extensions/*" and then post the contents of the crash.log file?
Perhaps you should stick with an unmodified device, or pay someone to do the work. Making the Kindle do something which Amazon tries very hard to prevent involves both risk and a need to learn. TANSTAAFL.
mike.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
twobob

just give the crash log a read

and post that up. that will give me enough to go on for now.

many thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Slusho64

Okay I've attached it. As far as what mike.s said, I don't see why this should be so complicated that I can't do it. I modified my K3 easily, and I've been doing this kind of stuff for a long time with devices such as the PSP, Wii, DS, iPod, iPad, Android, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: rar crash.rar (480 Bytes, 379 views)
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
twobob

Quote:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
has, so far, meant a lack of the following file being installed:
http://ge.tt/3ZRY9XE/v/71

That is installed right?

See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=35 for a similar report.

Quote:
I have an extensions folder in the root of the Kindle and nothing inside, so it shouldn't fail.
Err.... This is an applications launcher.

It expects at least SOMETHING to run.

(Large Red lettering under SUPPORT on main thread)

So:

1) Please confirm the Kindlet Jailbreak is installed. A simple "Yes I did that" would be very helpful.

2) Grab something (The helper scripts, Kterm, anything) and put it in the folder. Then try again.

It wasn't (yet) programmed to handle (all) corner cases. Do something in the way "It expects" - e.g. put something in the extensions folder (it is searching for something to be in there, not nothing)

Also. This would be better served on the main Launcher thread next time there is an issue

So. To recap. Kindlet Jailbreak, Kterm (or helpers), re-run.

Far as I can see - so far - it has acted as I would expect for a device missing such data.
I am guessing you are still missing the "required" step...

Last edited by twobob; 01-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.