Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #31
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by clashcityrocker View Post
The Sony is considerably better than the Kindle. It's not only lighter, it feels better, the UI runs smoother, and most important of all, it's not locked to a single supplier for content.

I really don't understand anyone that buys a Kindle. It's like buying a car that will only accept petrol from a specific garage.
Huh. I have 4 Kindles, and one Sony, and I find that they all work just fine.

And - by the way - the Kindle is NOT locked to a single supplier for content.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #32
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos72 View Post
Today I use Sony PRST1 with the KINDLE SW application and I noticed the following issues
1) you cannot see the "highlights" on your screen if you use the WHITE background color.
Really? I've never noticed this to be a problem. Are you sure it's not a problem with this particular one?

Quote:
:
2) you cannot turn page left right with the left right button because they are mapped in different position (I workarounded remapping the Volume buttons, but in this case this impact all other applications using the Volume buttons)
Don't quite understand what you mean by this. Do you mean if you set it up to swipe? You can change the page turn preferences from right to left under 'General Settings'.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #33
clashcityrocker
clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Huh. I have 4 Kindles, and one Sony, and I find that they all work just fine.

And - by the way - the Kindle is NOT locked to a single supplier for content.
Ahh, I missed the technically of the word "paid".

Kindle is locked to a single supplier for PAID content, which is what most people will be buying their e-readers for.

It's also locked to ZERO suppliers for free lending.

Happy now?
clashcityrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #34
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Happy now?
Nope. I pay for books from girlebooks, Smashwords and Cemetery Dance, using real money to buy .mobi books that open just fine on my Kindles.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #35
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
The Sony is considerably better than the Kindle. It's not only lighter, it feels better, the UI runs smoother, and most important of all, it's not locked to a single supplier for content.
It's strange, there's two full pages of posts before you from both Sony & Kindle owners and the majority opinion is that both are pretty comparable, the PRS-T1 better at some things, perhaps the Kindle at others. There's even some comments from one or two who own both but prefer the Kindle (but not that it's better).

When I eventually upgrade to a touch screen e-reader I'm tempted by the PRS-T1 as much as the Kindle Touch, but your (factually incorrect) view on the Kindle being "locked to a single supplier" isn't even necessarily a negative!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Kindle is locked to a single supplier for PAID content, which is what most people will be buying their e-readers for.

It's also locked to ZERO suppliers for free lending
I disagree. Most people buy an ereader for convenience and saying that it is locked to zero suppliers for free lending seems silly. There are free kindle books and some libraries support kindle lending. But why would most people care if your first statement is correct?

I think the Sony is better, but that is purely subjective on my part and I can't say for a fact that they are better and/or feel better. They both feel okay to me. Not pleasant or unpleasant. Maybe I just don't spend enough time feeling my electronics. Ease of use is another subject, but they both seem to have strengths and weaknesses.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #37
matteos72
Enthusiast
matteos72 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
Page turn with Kindle app works also by tapping left and right margin!
I for myself increased data partition of the reader from 50MB to 500MB, so app sizes won't cause any probs for me, but also Link2SD should work for Kindle app...
Just be sure that enough space is left on data partition to install Kindle app and then unse Link2SD to move it to external SD card:
Thank you!
- is there a way to modify the kindle application to change the page left right in spite changing the volume mappint?
- Do you have a link where to find information how to change the data partition of the reader to more than 50MB (sorry I am a newcomer for Android and Linux... thanks!)
matteos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #38
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Sony PRS T1
Quote:
Thank you!
- is there a way to modify the kindle application to change the page left right in spite changing the volume mappint?
unfortunately not.
Quote:
- Do you have a link where to find information how to change the data partition of the reader to more than 50MB (sorry I am a newcomer for Android and Linux... thanks!)
Yes - there's one in the Dev forum. But if you are a beginner - don't try that. There's allready a forum member that bricked the device without any chance for recovery.

The best way for you is go with Link2SD as explained in the wiki. This will move apps to external SD card.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #39
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Ahh, I missed the technically of the word "paid".

It's also locked to ZERO suppliers for free lending.

Happy now?
Before being rude, you should probably make sure you are correct.

Kindle is most certainly not locked to a single supplier for either free or paid content.

And you can certainly lend Kindle books... or borrow...

Said so, while they each have strengths and weaknesses, I prefer SONY... but the 950, for the larger screen and 3g.

A T1 has no 3g - and auto-delivery is not working - which is a deal breaker for me - I travel a lot and like to get my newspapers delivered. So I would buy a Kindle nowadays... But that's a very subjective need. Most users don't seem to really use ebook readers for newspapers, as far as I can tell.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #40
parkher
Addict
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS (T1,T2), PocketBook 902
Let's see:

- they both have the same screen

- with light gray adhesive tape around the screen I made my T1 look exactly like Kindle - the color advantage of Kindle is gone.

- T1 better fits into a pocket.

- I have a 32GB card in my T1 right now. Where to put it into Kindle?

- can you even make wide enough margins (left/right: 1.5-1.7 cm each) for landscape on Kindle?
T1 is pretty flexible as it comes to margins, in CR3 currently is a wider range than in FBReader, though. But with both it can be extended by additionally specifying margins for the default paragraph. So enough with both.

- with T1 you can read any format you may want, including both DRM protected mobi and epub books:
If you want to read free books - it is T1, you can read with CR3 or with FBReader whatever you like. Can you read without converting the two main ebook standard formats: epub and fb2 on Kindle?
if you want to buy books - it is T1, as you can buy both Kindle mobi and epub books and read them on T1. Can you read DRM protected epubs (or any epubs) on Kindle?

Last edited by parkher; 02-21-2012 at 02:23 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #41
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Let's see:

- T1 better fits into a pocket.

- I have a 32GB card in my T1 right now. Where to put it into Kindle?

- can you even make wide enough margins (left/right: 1.5-1.7 cm each) for landscape on Kindle?
T1 is pretty flexible as it comes to margins, in CR3 currently is a wider range than in FBReader, though. But with both it can be extended by additionally specifying margins for the default paragraph. So enough with both.

- with T1 you can read any format you may want, including both DRM protected mobi and epub books:
If you want to read free books - it is T1, you can read with CR3 or with FBReader whatever you like. Can you read without converting the two main ebook standard formats: epub and fb2 on Kindle?
if you want to buy books - it is T1, as you can buy both Kindle mobi and epub books and read them on T1. Can you read DRM protected epubs (or any epubs) on Kindle?
This is all well and good, but these are things that you want. Not that I want, and not that a lot of satisfied Kindle owners have any need for.

I like both my Kindle and Sony very much, and on neither of them do I fiddle with memory cards, margins, or file conversions. I just read books.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #42
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Which on is better Ford or Chevy...Toyota or Honda...?
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #43
parkher
Addict
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS (T1,T2), PocketBook 902
I listed several advantages of T1 over Kindle.
Are there any advantages of Kindle over T1?
Remember, you can buy and read Kindle books with T1. So this is not a Kindle advantage.

There might be even more advantages of T1 over Kindle.
For example, on T1 you can install additional dictionaries, run various android apps, sometimes useful, related to ebook reading or file managers, etc.
I am not all that familiar which Kindle models are hacked and what can be done on the hacked ones. The lack of a card slot already is the deal breaker for me.
I would never buy a reader without a card slot. Well, never say never...
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #44
Fanchee
Connoisseur
Fanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notes

Device: Aura H20, PRS-350, Kobo Aura HD
I own both of these readers, and I love them both. I think you'd be happy with either one, but here's my opinion (take it for what it's worth!)

Sony: It's lighter and has physical page turn buttons, which I actually like. It has more dictionaries, which I haven't used, but the coolest thing is that when you highlight a word to look up, you also have the option to use google or wikipedia. I've come across a few words which weren't defined by the chosen dictionary, and it was truly handy to google the word.

Borrowing from the library directly from the reader is a breeze, although it takes patience. It's not particularly fast in its web browsing, but it does alleviate the need for a computer. That being said, I normally just download the borrowed book via my PC and transfer it to the reader.

I also like how when the reader is in standby, you see an image of the book you are reading instead of an ad-based screen from Amazon. But this truly is a minor detail, because I've actually used a few of the 'special offers' from Amazon. The Sony reads epub and not mobi, but this isn't an issue for those of us who use Calibre and can convert easily.

The Sony is reflective, but when in a cover it's not that terrible. The kindle clearly wins here, in my opinion, as there is no reflection at all from the kindle. However, I love the red color of my Sony and color choice is always good.

Kindle: It's heavier but as far as touch-screen page turns, I find it to be quite easy to use. I'm not one of the ones who seem to have issues with a too-sensitive screen. It's tied to the Amazon kindle store so when you purchase a book, it uses whispernet to wirelessly download the book automatically (next time the kindle is powered on.) The special offers are at times very good deals, I've gotten a few 99¢ books this way, and a discount on a cover. Putting the books into collections is quite the ordeal and I have yet to find an easy, efficient way to do it. And if you don't do it, you'll end up with pages upon pages to scroll through on your home screen.

As far as reading, they are both really great. The font selection on the Sony is quite a bit better, but I can easily find a font I like on the kindle.

I have found that Amazon usually always has better pricing on books. And always tons of free books.

I hope this has been helpful to you. My decision to keep both really came down to the fact that I really do love both of them, and I've justified it to myself (logic notwithstanding) that although I can convert mobi to epub and back all day, wouldn't it be IDEAL to have a reader that reads both formats?
Fanchee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #45
petercreasey
Fanatic
petercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
you can buy and read Kindle books with T1.
P, How is this done?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote