Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
lil4399
lil4399 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prst
newbie having disaster PRS-T1

Hi guys (n gals)

Hope someone can point me in the right direction, as it stands, the ereader is going back tomorrow and I go back to reading off the notebook.

I have purchased the Sony (against the advice of several friends who favour the kindle)

I have purchased a book from google books, which I can read online but cannot download.

I have followed the instructions on google help i.e. "go to "i" and follow the link to download but nothing, can someone point out where I am going wrong? on another point, does anyone else find the browser rubbish? freezing, "no connection" where my notebook is full strength.

All in all I am unbelievably dissapointed with the device, I hope someone here can point me in the right direction other than "returns" counter
lil4399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Click on "read on your device" from the book, then select epub. If you want details, check this out.

http://support.google.com/books/bin/...answer=1065613
log is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
lil4399

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Click on "read on your device" from the book, then select epub. If you want details, check this out.

http://support.google.com/books/bin/...answer=1065613
Thanks for the response, but the only option I have is to "read the book" there is no option for reading on the device.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
tayseidel
Connoisseur
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505/PRS-T1
No offense lil4399 but it sounds like the ecosystem offered on the kindle is a better fit for you. If you can't figure out how to sideload books via a USB cable or via wifi, then I think the ecosystem offered with the kindle fits you better. Of course, you can always buy books via the Reader Store offered on your Sony Reader with wifi enabled.

Also, check out Calibre if you want to try sideloading books onto the PRS-T1. It even offers a Server for easy access to your library via wifi.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
lil4399

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
No offense lil4399 but it sounds like the ecosystem offered on the kindle is a better fit for you. If you can't figure out how to sideload books via a USB cable or via wifi, then I think the ecosystem offered with the kindle fits you better. Of course, you can always buy books via the Reader Store offered on your Sony Reader with wifi enabled.

Also, check out Calibre if you want to try sideloading books onto the PRS-T1. It even offers a Server for easy access to your library via wifi.
No offence taken, loading data from my PC or Notebook is simple, but I have purchased the reader to download directly when away as I do not always have to take my notebook and the Sony fits in a pocket (with a squeeze).

If I am always having to have my PC or Notebook with me, then I might as well read from that?

The instructions make it clear that I should be able to download directly but all the commands in the instructions do not appear on my reader which is somewhat infuriating, every link, in every instruction I have found on the web does not show up on my reader.

I am no Technophobe, so I will have to put this down to an issue with this reader. Thanks for the responses, this one is going back and I will stick to the Notebook.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi lil4399 reading your post it sounds like you're using the browser trying to get the book from google books. Have you tried using the "Google Books" link on the second page of the homescreen? This opens google books with the sony store interface. I just tried downloading a free book that way and it worked well.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T1
lil4399, what country are you in at the moment? The Sony services you have access to will vary depending on your location.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil4399 View Post
does anyone else find the browser rubbish? freezing, "no connection" where my notebook is full strength.
You're not alone I'm from downunder and was surprised at awful the browser was, constantly locking up and freezing.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I got a T! For Christmas. Tried the browser, downloaded books from library, Google books, visited some web pages and said ho hum. Easy, works fine but do I care.

My advice is to take it back if you are unhappy and try a different reader with the features you want.
I have 3 Sony Readers and the T1 kind of sucks in some ways, Navigation/deleting content ugly.But once you are actually reading a book it is pretty spiffy.

Take it back and try something else. You can always rebuy.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 12-31-2011 at 12:30 AM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
lil4399

Helen,

Thanks for the comments, I have now purchased a Kindle 3g, what a difference! no flickering, very fast internet, easy procedure - use my existing amazon account, all set up in under 5 mins.

I know understand why everyone raves about ereaders, if the Sony had been my only experience I would have thought them all mad.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
petercreasey
Fanatic
petercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfoldedpetercreasey reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1
Your experience with the T1 is not typical.

The T1 is a great ereader.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300, 350 Pink & Silver, Black & Red T1, K4NT, KPW, Red T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Your experience with the T1 is not typical.

The T1 is a great ereader.
While I myself & others would whole heartedly agree, I find it's entirely dependent on the skill level of the user. For some people, the Kindle really is the best option. It's the easiest one to deal with out there.

I was always against the Kindle because I didn't want to be tied to Amazon but after getting one, I do see the benefits of it. [I'm a brat and like new toys. ] Some people just will not be able to figure out how to use anything more complex than that.

The new Sony software makes it hard to manage if you want any semblance of control of your device and books on it. So then they have to do it manually or through Calibre. It's too daunting of a task for some people and they waste their money on a device that they now hate and won't use. I'd rather see someone with a Kindle that they can use & read books on than to be frustrated beyond belief.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote