Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
RTL (Arabic/Hebrew) support?

The last time I looked into Pocketbook RTL support some PocketBook models supported Arabic text, but without diacritics.
I'm curious whether this situation has changed with the new non-PB models, e.g. Lux 2 and Lux 3.
I'd appreciate it if someone with a relatively new Pocketbook e-reader could test this file and take a screenshot of the last page.

It should look like this:

Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840
I've attached a screenshot from my Inkpad (firmware 5.4.98). The Hebrew looks wrong, but the Arabic may be okay.

My Touch Lux 623 got both horribly wrong, as if it didn't have the correct fonts for either, but it's a few years old now. What did you mean by non-PB models?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	139021  
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 06-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I've attached a screenshot from my Inkpad (firmware 5.4.98). The Hebrew looks wrong, but the Arabic may be okay.
Thanks for testing the file. The Arabic text indeed looks perfect, but the Hebrew text doesn't, which is rather strange, because e-readers that support one RTL language well usually also support all other RTL languages.

Maybe this is a font issue, because when I checked the embedded font with Microsoft Font Validator, I got lots of error messages. To exclude font issues I've replaced the embedded Hebrew font with a Google font, Noto Sans Hebrew, and created a new test file. Could you please test it?

Quote:
My Touch Lux 623 got both horribly wrong, as if it didn't have the correct fonts for either, but it's a few years old now.
IIRC, the reading apps of some of the older models don't support embedded fonts.

Quote:
What did you mean by non-PB models?
I meant models whose model name don't start with "PB," e.g. the PB6xx series.
Attached Files
File Type: epub RTLTest.epub (88.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-05-2015, 02:57 AM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here's the new screenshot. The Hebrew still looks wrong. It seems that the diacritic marks are showing up in the wrong places.

Edit: It's more than the diacritic marks that are kerned improperly. Each time I change the font size, the characters are spaced differently relative to each other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scr0002.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	139024  

Last edited by rkomar; 06-05-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 AM   #5
Doitsu
Wizard

Quote:
Okay, here's the new screenshot. The Hebrew still looks wrong. It seems that the diacritic marks are showing up in the wrong places.
Thanks again for your help. I created an updated version without diacritics. If it doesn't display correctly either Hebrew isn't supported.

Quote:
Each time I change the font size, the characters are spaced differently relative to each other.
Does the Inkpad have a Disable Publisher Fonts option (or another option for suppressing embedded fonts)? If so try disabling embedded fonts for this ebook.
Attached Files
File Type: epub RTLTest2.epub (88.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 AM   #6
rkomar
Wizard

Here are the results with the latest version of the document. Again, there are problems with the Hebrew kerning. I tried some of the built-in fonts, and those also showed similar problems. The Arabic seemed to look fine with the built-in fonts, as well as the embedded one. Strange.

Time for bed. I'll try any other tests tomorrow (West Coast of North America time).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scr0003.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	139026  
Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 AM   #7
Doitsu
Wizard

Thanks again for your help. You've confirmed that the Inkpad supports Arabic including text with diacritics and Hebrew without diacritics. (It doesn't seem to right-align the paragraphs, though, but IMHO this is a minor issue.)
The next time someone asks for an eInk reader with RTL support there's one more device that I could suggest.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 626
Here's a screenshot from the Touch Lux 2 (Firmware R626.5.7.515). The Arabic looks good to my (untrained) eye, using CoolReader and Google's "Literata" font. I override all custom fonts by default, by the way.

Installing a Hebrew font might even work, but there's apparently none at the moment.

Last edited by ingmar; 06-05-2015 at 10:19 AM.
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
Doitsu
Wizard

Thanks for testing my file. Unfortunately, the Arabic text is rendered LTR and the Arabic letters are isolated (for example, ا ن ل ق vs. قلنا).
Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

To make it clear, I was using the default AdobeViewer app (based on RMSDK) for displaying the page.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Doitsu
Wizard

Quote:
To make it clear, I was using the default AdobeViewer app (based on RMSDK) for displaying the page.
In that case, can you please test the first page with the green buttons. If you have the latest RMSDK version with JavaScript support, it should display the version number.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

I had to look at the document with Calibre ebook-viewer to find out what you meant. The green buttons don't even show up in AdobeViewer on the device. I've attached a screen shot below.

I'm not sure which version of RMSDK is used to build the app on the device. The license page says the copyright is 1995-2009, but that sounds too old even for PocketBook. I suspect that they just haven't updated the description since they first wrote it.

Perhaps someone with a more recently produced device can test and see if anything is different?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scr0004.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	139031  
Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Doitsu
Wizard

Quote:
I had to look at the document with Calibre ebook-viewer to find out what you meant. The green buttons don't even show up in AdobeViewer on the device. I've attached a screen shot below.
This means that the Inkpad AdobeViewer version is based on RMSDK 10. Hopefully, PocketBook will add an updated AdobeViewer version in a firmware update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	javascript.png
Views:	11
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	139032  
Old 06-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Thanks for testing my file. Unfortunately, the Arabic text is rendered LTR and the Arabic letters are isolated (for example, ا ن ل ق vs. قلنا).
It's actually obvious, now that you mention it ...
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:

My Touch Lux 623 got both horribly wrong, as if it didn't have the correct fonts for either, but it's a few years old now. What did you mean by non-PB models?
You say the Arabic looks right, but it has one significant issue - the lines are wrapping at the left margin, not the right, as they of course should do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote