Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Question Pocketbook Touch HD - bugs or features? :)

After seeing positive opinions about Touch HD, I've ordered a device. It arrived today, and after short testing, I've found couple of annoying bugs.

- There doesn't seem to be a way to zoom in on an image in an epub file. In Android pocketbook reader app, you can long press on an image to zoom it in. On Touch HD, there doesn't seem to be anything like that, except manually pinching out to zoom in - which is both imprecise and doesn't allow for quick return to the previous font size. Am I missing something, or is Pocketbook eink software unfriendly towards images?

- There doesn't seem to be any support for Japanese fonts. I have a book with a few Japanese phrases. Those phrases are rendered as spaces - even after adding a Unicode OTF Japanese font (Google's Noto CJK) to the device, and selecting it in the list, the phrases have not been rendered correctly. Anyone had any better luck?

- I've found at least two books in my collection that only show first page once opened. As far as I can tell, the files on the device are not corrupted (same checksum as on the desktop), for some reason the device is unable to parse them properly past first page :( I've tried to open it in Android's Pocketbook app, and I see the same behaviour. Same file is perfectly readable on a Kobo reader or with different Android readers. Here's a link to one of the books misbehaving like that.

I find the device rather nice, the screen is gorgeous, and the software seems functional... except the above behaviours are deal breakers for me :( I'm curious if any person here has bumped into similar problems.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
FWIW, I've installed Coolreader, and it opens those "single page" books just fine, further convincing me it's a problem with pocketbook's reader, and not the files themselves. It's just that I'd prefer Coolreader to be alternative reader that I can use as well as the native one - and as far as I can tell, CR is nowhere to be found in the application list, you have to activate it via extensions.cfg.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-02-2016, 03:04 AM   #3
eMole
Connoisseur
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Essence
I don't own this device (not yet available in my country through established retailers), but I have it in my sight.
According to some german review you can install your own font, but you cannot really use them: a bug.
The Pocketbook app for Android does not open certain files, even though they pass every test. I was lazy to investigate. Could be the same issue with their reader sw on they device.
The linked epub file does not pass calibre's check nor epubcheck. And the spine starts with a non-linear item, known to be problematic.
Coolreader: the linked file contains extensive CSS. Coolreader's CSS support is fairly limited, so even if you can read the book in Coolreader, you won't get the intended reading experience.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
LucyOne
Addict
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD, Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Tolino Shine
AFAIK, only Kindles offer the possibility to zoom into images in books.
You can edit the extensions.cfg file that comes with Coolreader.
If you replace the line for epub with this:

epub:@EPUB_file:1:cr3-pb.app,eink-reader.app:ICON_EPUB

...then you will get an "open with" menu on long tap where you can choose the app you want, at least with one of the beta firmwares that have been released.

Last edited by LucyOne; 11-14-2016 at 02:10 PM.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote