Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Rob190
Rob190 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Conversion from PDF: No suitable source found

Hi,

I've just installed Calibre in order to attempt to convert some pdf documents into epub. I created an empty book, added a pdf to the book and chose Convert Books -> convert individually. I just get an error every time: "Could not convert 1 of 1 books because no suitable source format was found". I take this to mean it doesn't understand pdf. Is this correct? If not, any idea what has gone wrong?
Rob190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob190 View Post
Hi,

I've just installed Calibre in order to attempt to convert some pdf documents into epub. I created an empty book, added a pdf to the book and chose Convert Books -> convert individually. I just get an error every time: "Could not convert 1 of 1 books because no suitable source format was found". I take this to mean it doesn't understand pdf. Is this correct? If not, any idea what has gone wrong?
Your PDF may not really be a PDF (inside). Try and view the source with Adobe Reader
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Rob190

The document starts with: %PDF-1.6

I can read it with Acrobat and Foxit and on my Kindle.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 2, KB, PW 1, PW 2, Voyage, & Fire 2 -- iPad mini
Cool PDFCreator

Quote:
The document starts with: %PDF-1.6

I can read it with Acrobat and Foxit and on my Kindle.
Try Printing it with PDFCreator installed which will create a new PDF file and then use Calibre to convert the new PDF file.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Rob190

Thanks. That works. I'm very puzzled why though :-)
Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 2, KB, PW 1, PW 2, Voyage, & Fire 2 -- iPad mini
Cool PDFCreator

Quote:
Thanks. That works. I'm very puzzled why though :-)
PDFs seem to always be puzzling.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote