Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
Hi everyone,

Just ordered the Kindle and received the introductory email. Nice touch on Amazon's part. Thanks for providing the link. Couldn't find it any other way.
I don't have the email yet. The order has not been canceled, so I bet the email is simply stuck in my spam filter. Drat.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #17
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I think you're right Nate. My email arrived within a minute of purchase.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #18
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
Thanks for providing the link. Couldn't find it any other way.
It's not publicly advertised yet. I'd love to see those guys at Amazon wondering about the first incoming orders
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I finally went looking for my spam folder. It's actually 3 web pages away from my email account. Go figure. But I do have the email; it arrived about a minute after the purchase.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't know if this link has already been posted here, so I am going to do it.
kindle
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #21
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Edit: I don't know...who -outside of germany- would be interested in reading the "Frankfurter Allgemeine"???
Expatriates who need to keep up on current events so they don't look like complete idiots when they visit Germany once a year ... if it wasn't for Mobipocket's RSS feeds for the Iliad, I still wouldn't know what Hartz IV is or what it's doing to the country... or that there's a railroad strike going on ... or know about the increasingly amusing saga of the planned Transrapid in Munich ("monorail, monorail, monorail")

As suggested in another thread: Wouldn't it be relatively easy for Amazon to make newspaper subscription and delivery available for other e-readers? Alternatively, if a newspaper is already creating content for one e-reader, wouldn't it be easy to make that subscription available to other companies? In other words, shouldn't Irex be talking to the FAZ right now?

I know, I keep going on about this ... but CommandeROR is obsessed with battery life, others get worked up about DRM - my pet peeve is that there's still no newspaper for the Iliad...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Did not work with my Chinese address (no big surprise) and also did not work with my Canadian address.

Once again, a company is ignoring the vast majority of people. Must be nice to be so fabulously wealthy and successful that you do not need more customers.
I've just e-mailed Amazon UK to ask them if there are any plans to release it in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
good luck...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #24
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
Well, I said to heck with it, and ordered it, despite my personal reservations. I also just got the Cybook (I was one of the lucky ones to get their first production batch), so it'll be interesting to compare the two. I guess it'll be here either Wednesday or Friday (with Thursday being Thanksgiving).
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #25
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I just ordered mine--after I spent the whole evening telling myself I didn't need one. But I watched the little introduction video about it on amazon and I couldn't help it. It is supposed to be delivered to my house tomorrow (11-20-2007).

I'm on a mac, so I can't even create mobi files!! But I hope they release something that lets us mac people create our own mobi content. I'm a wikipedia fiend, so I couldn't resist that option and the dictionary option...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
I just ordered mine--after I spent the whole evening telling myself I didn't need one.
Congrats on your purchase! Please tell us about your first experiences as soon as it arrives
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #27
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
I ordered mine, arrives Wednesday. For me it is all about subscription content. Something Sony promised and never delivered. I don't care if wireless or wired, just want the NYT every morning.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
II'm on a mac, so I can't even create mobi files!!
If you have wine installed, then mobigen.exe probably works - at least it does under Linux. Add -jpeg to the standard set of mobigen options, since it typically gives better images.

One side effect of Kindle may be a rapid increase in (drm-free) .MOBI tools. At least, I hope this is the case.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #29
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon K4, Fire, Droid 2
Mine's been shipped, too! Wednesday's the day.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #30
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Tuesday for me (Amazon Prime ftw!

Will have it side by side with the Sony Reader to compare.

Oh, and Amazon have already assigned it a name and I've assigned it an email address and bought my first book! So far the whole Kindle infrastructure is living up to the expectations for such a device coming from Amazon.

Kinda hoping the display contrast might be a bit better than on the Sony, but it sounds like they use pretty much the same display.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote