Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
JHPee
Junior Member
JHPee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Germany
Device: onxy boox m91s
Newbi with his new Onyx M91s

My new M91S arrived two days ago and I´ve only been able to invest a few hours `play-time´ so far.. This is my first e-reader, bought primarily because I shall want to display many self-created text files, as well as some text books.
So far I´ve been able to stumble through getting four books to a state where I am able to read them, I quite impressed !
What I would like to know is why can I only add books (so far, anyway) via Adobe Digital Editions. If I can obtain an ebook which has not been corrupted with some form of DRM, why can´t I just drag and drop that book directly into the M91S, providing of course that I abide by the correct directory structure ?
I ask because I´m not happy about buying a book twice just because my wife also wants to read it, and this is precisely what Adobe is attempting to enforce. we want to be able to share ebooks in the same manner we share paper books, and the only way to do that is to remove the DRM which is probably slightly illegal. Can someone explain to me in simple language please just how I might bypass Adobe and still be able to read my legally obtained ebooks?

Thanks, JHPee
JHPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys
 
Posts: 140
Karma: 5766
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Onyx Boox M92
qpdf on Linux can crack anything, from encrypted PDF to DRM. Give it a whirl.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 12-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 200
Karma: 289206
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Onyx M92
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHPee View Post
Thanks, JHPee
I have no idea why drag and drop should not work. You managed to do it with your txt-files. The same goes for epub or whatever.
For the DRM you have to google.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 200
Karma: 289206
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Onyx M92
Nonsnesical advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
qpdf on Linux can crack anything, from encrypted PDF to DRM. Give it a whirl.
That is plain nonsense ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys
 
Posts: 140
Karma: 5766
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
That is plain nonsense ...
I was talking about how to avoid buying a book twice....
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
JHPee
Junior Member
JHPee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Germany
Device: onxy boox m91s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
I have no idea why drag and drop should not work. You managed to do it with your txt-files. The same goes for epub or whatever.
For the DRM you have to google.
Hi ignacio,

Sorry about that, I was not specific enough...

The first four books were all purchased the same day, from the same source, and by default after I had had to first install and register with Adobe...downloading the ebooks to my laptop was then no problem. I then made the mistake of attempting to simply copy the files across from my laptop to the Onyx. From the laptop they were visible in the Onyx memory, but after disconnecting, the reader was unable to find them. Obviously a directory structure error...and since, as a raw beginner with no documentation, I was totally ignorant of just how it all should be structured I had no other alternative but to re-initialise the flash memory and repeat the whole process, this time via Adobe...
In order to transfer the ebook files to my M91S I first had to announce the device to Adobe, who then allowed me to copy them to a bookshelf (the M91S) within the Adobe Digital Editions environment using their Drag and Drop process, hey presto, it all functioned as it should.
I use a laptop which remains unconnected to the internet for all my important data archiving, and it is from this laptop that I wish to load files onto my reader in the future, No Adobe ! If I abide by the existing directory structure which the Adobe process has initiated, will I be able to transfer files to the reader in the future simply by drag and Drop with the explorer from one memory location to the reader internal memory ? Or is Adobe required in order to add some detail of which I am ignorant ?
As you can see, I´m so inexperienced that I´m still asking the questions you have all asked years ago... I hope I have been more accurate this time,

regards, JHPee.
JHPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 200
Karma: 289206
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHPee View Post
Hi ignacio,

Sorry about that, I was not specific enough...

The first four books were all purchased the same day, from the same source, and by default after I had had to first install and register with Adobe...downloading the ebooks to my laptop was then no problem. I then made the mistake of attempting to simply copy the files across from my laptop to the Onyx. From the laptop they were visible in the Onyx memory, but after disconnecting, the reader was unable to find them. Obviously a directory structure error...and since, as a raw beginner with no documentation, I was totally ignorant of just how it all should be structured I had no other alternative but to re-initialise the flash memory and repeat the whole process, this time via Adobe...
In order to transfer the ebook files to my M91S I first had to announce the device to Adobe, who then allowed me to copy them to a bookshelf (the M91S) within the Adobe Digital Editions environment using their Drag and Drop process, hey presto, it all functioned as it should.
I use a laptop which remains unconnected to the internet for all my important data archiving, and it is from this laptop that I wish to load files onto my reader in the future, No Adobe ! If I abide by the existing directory structure which the Adobe process has initiated, will I be able to transfer files to the reader in the future simply by drag and Drop with the explorer from one memory location to the reader internal memory ? Or is Adobe required in order to add some detail of which I am ignorant ?
As you can see, I´m so inexperienced that I´m still asking the questions you have all asked years ago... I hope I have been more accurate this time,

regards, JHPee.

Well, I own a M92, and when I copy ebooks to the root directory, they are recognised by the device. This goes for the M91 as well, I am pretty sure, because that is the way it works on most readers - unless they are protected.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onyx Boox M91s is a disaster thomas01155 Onyx Boox 50 01-24-2012 05:50 AM
My Issues with Onyx M91s OphReader Onyx Boox 12 12-21-2011 12:42 AM
Onyx Boox M91s and M90 can open large .chm? javi_alex27 Onyx Boox 11 09-26-2011 04:09 AM
Onyx M91S vs PocketBook 902 adrhc Onyx Boox 2 09-16-2011 09:44 AM
Onyx Onyx Boox M91S zu empfehlen? waechtertroll Andere Lesegeräte 11 08-12-2011 08:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.