Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
mikolaj
mikolaj is on a distinguished road

A prosumer v-cradle

Engadget has an article on Atiz BookSnap, basically a v-cradle combined with a two-camera stand (cameras not included). OK, to be fair, you also get OCR software and a v-shaped transparent plate.
But for my taste, the whole scanning process looks a tad too manual for a $1600-heavy contraption.

They also are planning a diy kit, I wonder if it's price can compete with the under $50 diy v-cradle described in the sony reader forum .
mikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikolaj View Post
Engadget has an article on Atiz BookSnap, basically a v-cradle combined with a two-camera stand (cameras not included). OK, to be fair, you also get OCR software and a v-shaped transparent plate.
But for my taste, the whole scanning process looks a tad too manual for a $1600-heavy contraption.

They also are planning a diy kit, I wonder if it's price can compete with the under $50 diy v-cradle described in the sony reader forum .

It's *HIGHLY* overpriced. But at least it works with the prosumer Canon digicams rather than forcing one to buy a dSLR.

Pricing & Compatibility

The price of BookSnap is $1,595. It is compatible with various models of Canon digital cameras on the market today including Canon Powershot G7, Canon Powershot A640, Canon Powershot A620, Canon Powershot S80, and Canon Powershot S3 IS. BookSnap is available now at www.atiz.com.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
mlbspike
Enthusiast
mlbspike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, PRS505
Price in the eye of the beholder

Unwilling to pay the $4500 or so for their previous model, I've looked into the do-it-yourself option. With a nearly $3000 price drop, and a much more acceptable size to the unit, I'll probably have one shortly. I have friends handier than I at the work necessary to make a usable version of my own. Unfortunately, their time is at about the same worth per hour as mine. Once I figure construction time, and time to finetune everything, and overcome problems along the way (looking at the link on the $50 cradle, all problems seem surmountable), and a modest amount for materials, and software ... the price doesn't seem so bad. The fact that the cost can be spread out between a number of family members, and the pricetag seems acceptable ...
But, obviously, that's me ... I won't presume to tell other people what something is worth. If it's seems outrageously overpriced to someone else, then I'll assume that for them, it is exactly that.
Mike
mlbspike is offline   Reply With Quote