Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Third party reader software ...

I would like to cut down on the number of ereader applications that I use on my Kobo, because I'm already up to Kobo, Amazon Kindle, Adobe Reader, OverDrive, and DjVu. Something tells me that I'm stuck with the Amazon Kindle software (I purchased a number of books from them a couple of years ago) and DjVu (I've only seen it used on Archive.org), but surely there is something that can handle ePub and PDF with Adobe's DRM?

Any suggestions?
BWinmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Aldiko can handle both ePub and PDF using Adobe DRM. As long as your device is authorized with ADE. Inside the app itself you just add your email/password with ADE and then can import your ADE files to read them through the App.

I've successfully downloaded encrypted ADE files via Dropbox into Aldiko and read them.

You can just go to the Aldiko download page on their website and use the email option on the right side. You don't need a valid email address because the same error message always appears when using this box which allows you to direct download the app from the page itself.

Once the app is installed, go to general settings and tap Adobe DRM and add your Adobe ID to verify device and your good to go whether you sideload and then import your books through a service like dropbox or directly via USB onto SD card.

Last edited by lioslaith; 01-10-2012 at 04:35 AM.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Whoover
Enthusiast
Whoover began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
Once the app is installed, go to general settings and tap Adobe DRM and add your Adobe ID to verify device and your good to go whether you sideload and then import your books through a service like dropbox or directly via USB onto SD card.
JUst to clarify for me - does this include Kindle books?
Whoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
No, unfortunately not Kindle books as they aren't Adobe DRM, they are Kindle DRM, so for Kindle books you will need to use the Kindle app.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
Whoover
Enthusiast

Cheers.

I am happy with what i've learnt so far. Being able to get Library books into Aldiko is a great boon, as I wasn't happy with the Overdrive style.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
If you set up your public library as a catalogue in Aldiko, you can download overdrive books directly.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Alantra
Enthusiast
Alantra began at the beginning.

This is something that I have to do next. Get my overdrive Library books to open in Aldiko. So far I have no idea where to start. I am guessing a google search will help.
Alantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
No need to google...the info you require is in this forum post:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164044

Read the whole thread, Cdesja5 goes into great detail on setting up aldiko to access your library's overdrive site.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Whoover
Enthusiast

Yes, that thread is the one I followed, works great.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Mini,Sony T1, Galaxy Tab 10.1,Samsung S2 phone,iPod Touch
Thanks for the positive reviews!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Alantra
Enthusiast

Followed thedirections and i am good right up till download. I click the download button and nothing!!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it sounds like your Calibre server is not turned on...click on the server icon in Calibre, it has to be green not blue. Also the wireless has to be "on" and it may not?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Alantra
Enthusiast

okay.. what is calbre? and are you telling me that I need it or another poster?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I believe they are trying to download from overdrive, not calibre.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I believe they are trying to download from overdrive, not calibre.
Right... I thought Alantra had Calibre installed. I have answered her in her new thread.