Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Arche
Arche began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Partitioned (Fat32+ext3) SD not recognised

Hi!

Just rooted the gadget - looking good so far.
But unless I get the partitioned SD recoginsed, the cras&burn will be looming near..

Used minitool wizard to do the partitioning.
I deleted all partitions off a class 4 4Gb microSDHC (yup, the largest I had available, will be upgrading soon.)
Then created firstand in the beginning of the disk a FAT32 primary partition of ~3,2Gb and finished off with a ~500Mb Ext3 partition. Named them ReaderSD and RdrApp (Wonderfully original, I know, thanks). Everything looked good - the computer (running w7/64/ult) recognised the card and the world was in peace and champagne rained from the heavens.

But when I popped the little bugger in the reader - guess what happened..
Nothing. It kind of mounted something but failed to display any of the files inside the card.
Now when I plug the reader to the computer it asks to format the SDcard "drive". And refuses to recognise any partitions or anything. Just offers to create one 3,69Gb drive/partition there. And - surprise - that dowsn't quite suit me..

I'm kind of n00b-ish when it comes to android (my first android gadget) - so does anybody here have any brilliant ideas as to how to torture the damn tablet and submit its will to that of mine?

Thanks in advance - 'll be happy to answer all the questions about to pour in..

Cheers,
Z.
Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Android doesn't like multi-partitioned SD cards in my experience... try one of the card utilities from one of the card manufacturers and reformat card as single FAT32 and that'll work. If you want any alternative arrangement (especially anything other than FAT32) then I reckon you've got problems...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1
Think Arche is talking about Resizing Data Partition / enlarge storage for installing applications and here two (PRIMARY) partitions on one micro-SD-card are necessary. Maybe that PRIMARY for the second partition is the key
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Think Arche is talking about Resizing Data Partition / enlarge storage for installing applications and here two (PRIMARY) partitions on one micro-SD-card are necessary. Maybe that PRIMARY for the second partition is the key
Indeed, that's what I'm talking about. I formatted both partitions as primary - but to no avail. Also tried logical but no success
On the card the fat partition must be first and the ext3 last, am I right?

What could be the problem - should I try to do the partitioning from linux or try another card or do I have to change some settings on the device?
When I plug the thing to computer the SD appears as one unformatted 3,69Gb volume and the system offers to format it.

Also I have the latest firmware installed - could that be the problem?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Sony PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arche View Post
On the card the fat partition must be first and the ext3 last, am I right?
yup!

Quote:
What could be the problem - should I try to do the partitioning from linux or try another card or do I have to change some settings on the device?
When I plug the thing to computer the SD appears as one unformatted 3,69Gb volume and the system offers to format it.
does link2sd recognize the ext3 partition?

have you properly followed the guide in the wiki, i.e. rebooted the device inbetween, etc.?

use a dedicated sd card reader, don't try to partition/format via usb+sony t1.

then, try to wipe it, and partition + format with linux. you can use virtualbox, linux live cd, etc.

partedmagic+virtualbox on Win7 x64 worked great for me

be sure to properly unmount the card before removing

Quote:
Also I have the latest firmware installed - could that be the problem?
nope!
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
does link2sd recognize the ext3 partition?
Nope.

Quote:
have you properly followed the guide in the wiki, i.e. rebooted the device inbetween, etc.?
No can do - link2sd should recognize the card first if I am to continue... It doesn't.

Quote:
use a dedicated sd card reader, don't try to partition/format via usb+sony t1.
Of course.

Quote:
then, try to wipe it, and partition + format with linux. you can use virtualbox, linux live cd, etc.
Downloading ubuntu cd now.

Quote:
partedmagic+virtualbox on Win7 x64 worked great for me
Mkay, Thanks, will try.

Quote:
be sure to properly unmount the card before removing
Of course.

Is it possible that 4gig card is too small for the task and that's why it doesn't work.
And do both the partitions need to be primary?

I'll have to try with another SDcard.
Will let you know how things fare..
Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1
Quote:
Is it possible that 4gig card is too small for the task and that's why it doesn't work.
And do both the partitions need to be primary?
I did a 4GB card and it works ok. Did it on a Linux box using Gparted. No Problem.

Yes, both partitions primary: 3,5 GiB vfat, 0,5 GiB ext3
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Sony PRS T1
I have a 4GB Sandisk micro SDHC in my T1.

Which version of Link2SD do you have?

Is Busybox and Superuser installed properly?

If you ever did a Reset of the T1 via Reset-Button, fixpermissions is worth a try.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote