Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
eddie19
eddie19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
New ebook user

I have recently purchased a Kobo Touch and am having a good read. One small point - in trying to set the font size, line spacing,etc I am unable to set the justification, it remains left justified whatever I do. The book is in epub format. It only applies to my current book, other books are all right. Not a major problem, just curious to know what causes the difference between two books both in epub format.

I have also downloaded Calibre and was wondering how I use it to download a book from the internet. I purchased an ebook from Googlebooks and the only way I could get it onto my pc was to use Adobe Digital Editions. When downloading and the the window pops up 'run this software with' or 'save this software', the default application for the run option is Adobe Digital Editions. I browsed through the directories and found Calibre to use instead of Adobe, but the only files that I got was a .acsm file and another one - can't remember the file type. What do I do to get Calibre to download the book?

I like to Kobo. The touch screen is a bit variable. Sometimes nothing happens and other times it turns over two pages instead of one. It would be nice to have a 'goto' instruction. The navigation bar is not very precise.

Hope someone can sort me out with Calibre.

Thanks
eddie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Welcome to MobileRead.

We have a Kobo Forum. Your thread has been moved that forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
When you buy an ePub that is protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management) you will download an ACSM file. This is not the actual book; rather it is instructions to ADE to allow IT to download the book to your PC.

Once the books IS downloaded, you can either copy it to your Kobo via Windows Explorer2, copy it via ADE to your Kobo, or add it to Calibre, and use Calibre to send it to your Kobo. All of these options though assume that your Kobo HAS been authorized via ADE to accept Adobe DRM'ed books.

Of course, you could also google "Apprentice Alf" for some tools you can either use standalone, or added to Calibre to handle the removal of DRM from the books. At that point, you can use more of the facilities of Calibre on those books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
eddie19
eddie19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi Peter. What I wanted to know is whether I can download directly to Calibre. I am able to download to Adobe Digital, but not to Calibre.
eddie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
As I said... a DRM protected book can ONLY be downloaded via ADE; NOT via Calibre. ADE uses the ACSM flle to download the DRM protected book.

Quote:
When you buy an ePub that is protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management) you will download an ACSM file. This is not the actual book; rather it is instructions to ADE to allow IT to download the book to your PC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Once the books IS downloaded, you can either copy it to your Kobo via Windows Explorer2, copy it via ADE to your Kobo, or add it to Calibre, and use Calibre to send it to your Kobo.
As Peter says, once this .acsm file is double clicked and Adobe Digital Editions application starts and creates the DRM protected xxx.epub file, I would add that the created epub file is located automatically in:

C:\Users\username\My Documents\My Digital Editions\xxxx.epub

Now from Calibre you may use the Add Books button and select the xxx.epub file to load into Calibre.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote