Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Question: Set date without wifi/usbnetwork

Hi, I have terminal access to my Kindle (Firmware 3.03) but no Wifi/USBnetwork.

Is there a way to set the Kindle date somehow?

The unix date command shows/edits the the unix date/time, but it seems the Kindle software does not use this date...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The date/time is set in the settings menu. It can also be disabled so that it will not overwrite the unix date/time set at the command line. It defaults to automatic, where it gets the date/time from a cellphone tower for 3G, or over wifi if no 3G.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The date/time is set in the settings menu.
Wrong.
You can set the time, but not the date. But the date is important because the collections with the recent read books go to the end instead of the start of the list when set wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It can also be disabled so that it will not overwrite the unix date/time set at the command line. It defaults to automatic, where it gets the date/time from a cellphone tower for 3G, or over wifi if no 3G.
I want to be able to set the Kindle date without having access to Wifi or another computer, and I was hoping that the unix date function would also set the Kindle date, but it doesn't.
I can set the date right now with Duokan, but that means 150MB just for this one thing (it's not suitabe for reading my books since it can't display german umlauts), there must be a better way.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I can set the date right now with Duokan, but that means 150MB just for this one thing (it's not suitabe for reading my books since it can't display german umlauts), there must be a better way.
Actually, the umlaut display issues are caused by the default Chinese font; Duokan will display German umlauts and other accented characters just fine if you change the default system font to Arial or another non-Asian font.
OTOH, the current Duokan ePub engine won't display some standard-compliant ePubs, but I read somewhere that they're working on new ePub and mobi engines.
I.e. keeping Duokan might make sense if they actually manage to fix these annoying issues in the next build.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Wrong.
You can set the time, but not the date.
Oops. There was a thread about this earlier. I remember a discussion about setting the time from automatic to manual so it would not mess up changes made at the command line. I remember doing that on my DXG using older firmware. Now that I have updated to 2.5.8, I cannot see an option to do that. I appears to be always manual now.

Also, I was not able to find that thread using the mobileread search engine at this time. Participants in the discussion were NiLuJe, myself and others. EDIT (link found):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157889

It looks like some time-related things may have changed with firmware updates (or my memory could be in error). Sorry about that.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
WS64

Found something here...

First change date with
date MMDDHHMMYYYY
(Month Day Hour Minute Year)

To synchronize the Kindle clock to the Unix clock use
hwclock -w

Now I can delete Duokan...