Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony T1
Calibre or Sony

My Sony T1 is on the way, and I am new to e-books.

I have looked through the forums and found that many users are using Calibre to manage their collections, convert formats and the like. I know that the Sony T1 comes with software to manage collections and the like.

Any advice for a newbie - should I use only the Sony software, completely convert to the Calibre or do they co-exist and I use some functions from both? I am willing to make the time investment to learn, but not sure where to start.

Let me know if this post is more appropriate in the Calibre section.
Bear 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Well, you're comparing the two, so I'd think here's fine.

I'd say Calibre for everything except wifi. This means you'll need to set up everything anyway, but I'm not sure if it's possible to bypass Reader and just use Adobe - an expert will doubtless help any minute now...

'Course, if you have no need for the wifi, just stick with Calibre - and the occasional visit to a site called Apprentice Alf's Blog, which may be of interest. (Also sometimes known as the Black & Decker Admiration Society, in appreciation of its cleansing properties.... )

That's when you're happy and familiar with your T1, first, of course.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Higgy
Higgy
Higgy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 WiFi with Screensavers.
I started with the Sony Reader Library for my prs300 but soon changed over
to Calibre which even I find easy to use, convets formats even easier.

Have a go and see what you think.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"
I don't know how much hair you have, but you're likely to retain more of it if you use Calibre

Seriously though, there's nothing to stop you using both but you'll need to be very careful to only have one of them open at a time when your T1 is connected.

I only use Calibre myself, it has several bells & whistles for Sony devices, e.g
  • automatic management of Collections on the T1
  • ability to add a book's Series name/number to either the Author or Title of each book on the T1

However, Calibre will not do some things at all, e.g.
  • if you plan to make annotations, the Sony software will let you copy them to your PC/Mac
  • You can store DRM'd books in Calibre and transfer them to your T1 but you cannot open the book in Calibre.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
(Also sometimes known as the Black & Decker Admiration Society, in appreciation of its cleansing properties.... )
No no no no no no no no no no no... Black and Decker has nothing to do with cleansing. That is so wrong that it's wrongness is even more wrong then Pluto being a planet for so long.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Okay thanks. Key takeaways are, learn the T1 first, then use Calibre for most library function management. I will need Sony software for wifi (and I guess MP3?) as well as some other functions. I make a list of what is one and not the other. I am not a big annotations type of reader, so that is no big issue.

I think I understanding the concept of rooting from PCs, that is to replace the operating system. What are the benefits in doing that? Where can I learn more to see if is something of interest?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
Okay thanks. Key takeaways are, learn the T1 first, then use Calibre for most library function management. I will need Sony software for wifi (and I guess MP3?) as well as some other functions. I make a list of what is one and not the other. I am not a big annotations type of reader, so that is no big issue.
You don't need the Sony software for MP3s, drag-drop in the op sys. (Windows at least) works perfectly well if your MP3s are well tagged. I also wasn't aware that you needed Sony to use Wi-Fi??? But, as I don't use Wi-Fi much I'm not the best judge. Does the Calibre Content Server not work with the T1???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
I think I understanding the concept of rooting from PCs, that is to replace the operating system. What are the benefits in doing that? Where can I learn more to see if is something of interest?
Only my opinion, but if this is your first experience with ebook readers, I'd leave the rooting for now. Find out what your reader is capable of before trying to improve it. Here's the main rooting thread and the wiki. Also check the Sony Reader Dev Corner sub-forum.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-13-2011 at 03:40 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Bear 100
Enthusiast

Did not know about the WiFi, I guess I will have to try that out.

As stated above, first I will get to know the T1, and Sony software, add Calibre and see what works and does not, make decisions about that combo.

Rooting will come down the road. I am an engineer so I can't help myself with any device, just ask my wife. Now that I know it is possible, and I gotten tips from others it might be a fun hobby to try for the challenge. Rooting will not help in the primary use of the T1: reading. Rooting lets me play with the Android market and world. According to dev corner (I just looked at the first 20 pages) it looks totally reversible - so no harm can come
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I use both. Well I use Sony software for the firmware updates. I use Calibre for organization of stuff. To convert some things from one book format to another. I fix the names of the files. Yes, you can upload files to your reader via Calibre. I seldom use the Sony software much. The older version of their software was much better, the new one is very pretty and if you have lots of books on different machines, the sync feature can really screw up your reader. (So don't let it sync unless you want it to).
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Lalilulelo
Enthusiast
Lalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Both I guess. Calibre for organising, adding tags and transfer. Sony software for audio transfer.
Lalilulelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
spindlegirl
Grand Scheme of Things
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (Black), K4, Moonreader pro on my LG Nexus 4 phone
Before I got my t1 I was daydreaming of an actual e-reader that "worked a little more like calibre"

Calibre is a good experience, and so far my t1 is a good experience. Marry the both together and you have an e-reading experience that would make kittens purr.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Thumbs up B & D for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No no no no no no no no no no no... Black and Decker has nothing to do with cleansing. That is so wrong that it's wrongness is even more wrong then Pluto being a planet for so long.
Ah ha , you're forgetting the well known hand-held device so popular with Forumites with ..... A LOT OF DUST...

And... wouldn't it be terrific if Calibre came up with an ereader...... ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1
I use calibre only with the full-blown Black&Decker cleansing set, featured by Apprentice Alf. I did not even register my T1 with Adobe yet. I might do so one day, just felt no need yet.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Ah ha , you're forgetting the well known hand-held device so popular with Forumites with ..... A LOT OF DUST...

And... wouldn't it be terrific if Calibre came up with an ereader...... ?
Yes, I did forget about that. But really, we should be calling it a Dyson. It just sounds better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Bear 100
Enthusiast

I admit I am a newbie, not sure what the references to Dyson or Black and Decker imply. Can you enlighten me?