Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
pdf to mobi

Hey guys,
First of all, I'm not good enough at English, so pardon me If I write something incorrect (Hope to help me major my English )
Second: I'm new to your prestigious forum, so if the question was asked before, again be a little bit lenient.
My question is that I'm KT user, and as far as I know KT is not a good companion when it comes to deal with pdf, I wanted to convert some pdfs, full of math formulas, to mobi, but the result was completely unsatisfactory.
Is it possible for me to convert some other pdfs, originally created by images, to mobi or azw. What about the result?
Thanks in advance.
Pink Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
The simple answer is "No". Complex PDF files cannot be satisfactorily converted to any other format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Rizla
Wizard
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650 / Cybook Opus / Nook STR (rooted)
I use a 650, not a kindle, but here is what I would do for a complex pdfs with lots of images.

First of all, convert the whole pdf to jpeg images. Then put them in a zip. Change the zip to a cbz. Drag it into calibre and convert it to a mobi.

Basically you display your pdf as a comic. Worth a shot.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I use a 650, not a kindle, but here is what I would do for a complex pdfs with lots of images.

First of all, convert the whole pdf to jpeg images. Then put them in a zip. Change the zip to a cbz. Drag it into calibre and convert it to a mobi.

Basically you display your pdf as a comic. Worth a shot.
That's...not THAT bad of an idea. I'll have to give that a whirl, just to see if it works well enough. I've never thought to do it that way.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
you can convert them to EPUB,have you ever heard of EPUB? the best playback on many readers.You can edit the files and mark the important sentences you want to do, with many functions.Good luck!
Hey there,
Even better than .mobi?
My pdfs are full of math formula, what about that?

Last edited by Pink Floyd; 12-17-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Pink Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Hey there,
Even better than .mobi?
My pdfs are full of math formula, what about that?
You can't view ePub files on a Kindle, so I'd suggest that you ignore that advice.

(Before some smart-alec pipes up - you CAN install an alternate firmware called "Duokan" on the Kindle which DOES allow you to read ePub files, but I really wouldn't recommend that.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Well, once he would have converted the PDF into an acceptable EPub then Calibre generally does a great job of converting EPUB to Mobi. But you can forget about converting PDF except manually. Even reflowable text tends to look awful. With multi-column PDFs it was possible to read them on the Irex's 8" screen in landscape mode with the help of a program called TechPDF. But it would never work on a 6".
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Rizla
Wizard
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650 / Cybook Opus / Nook STR (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That's...not THAT bad of an idea. I'll have to give that a whirl, just to see if it works well enough. I've never thought to do it that way.
The text tends to distort a bit when its magnified, but it's still better. Also remove margins with briss.The idea is is to make the text as large and readable as possible without upsetting the layout.

I view image type pdfs in this way in landscape mode (again to magnify the text w/out breaking the layout). I don't think the KT supports landscape so it won't work for the KT.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
Exciter
Exciter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I convert pdf to epub with ABBYY FineReader 11 by manually selecting pictures and text. Then edit epub with Sigil. And finaly convert epub to mobi with Calibre.
Exciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
It can of course be done, but it is a major pain in the you-know-what. Takes a long time and isn't very practical.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
mad_mark
mad_mark began at the beginning.

Device: KT
i have the same pdf-to-mobi headache...
I have a couple of Cisco PDF's. CiscoPress officially says to convert these using Calibre but the result is anything but good
I do not have much experience in Calibre, does any of you have a known/confirmed pattern to work with CiscoPress PDFs?
mad_mark is offline   Reply With Quote