Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Free Best Hugo Novelette for 2010

"That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made" by Eric James Stone is free at Smashword till the end of December. You should use this coupon code at checkout: NG36K.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got it.

Thank you.

They need to update the information on the cover.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It actually only won the Nebula; something else got the Hugo. And it's the controversial "Mormon missionary space whale rape" story.

But thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware the author had taken it off permafreebie status.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
It actually only won the Nebula; something else got the Hugo. And it's the controversial "Mormon missionary space whale rape" story.
Ah, I've read that one already when it was published in Analog.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Ebook Price: $0.99 USD
At the moment, anyway, following the above link.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
At the moment, anyway, following the above link.
Needs coupon code: NG36K.

I have to be careful with those; I tend to put ebooks in my Smashwords cart for weeks until I get around to buying them. When there's something with a coupon code, I have to buy those right away, and may not want to buy everything else in the cart. Since there's no wishlist, I have to remember what else I wanted to pick up when I've got money for it. (Or make a list, remove items, get couponed items, re-add everything else.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Duh. Thanks. (RTFM)
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
And it's the controversial "Mormon missionary space whale rape" story.
I thought the story was OK, but what was controversial about it?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:

But thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware the author had taken it off permafreebie status.
Yes, it is actually a Nebula award. And it in principle costs $0,99 (but still free is a better deal). I don't know if it's controversial, because I haven't read it, but I stumbled upon the coupon and downloaded it, expecting to be of some quality as it is an award winner.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I thought the story was OK, but what was controversial about it?
Apparently there was a moderate-sized fight and some finger-pointing about whether or not it was really Nebula-worthy or it just got the nom and the votes because Stone was a member of a particular writing group which had a lot of other also-SFWA members who may or may not have been boosting each others' work more out of a feeling of shared fellowship than perceived merit.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apparently there was a moderate-sized fight and some finger-pointing about whether or not it was really Nebula-worthy or it just got the nom and the votes because Stone was a member of a particular writing group which had a lot of other also-SFWA members who may or may not have been boosting each others' work more out of a feeling of shared fellowship than perceived merit.
Thanks! So the controversy had nothing to do with content of the story itself, then? That would explain why I was unaware of it.

I made the mistake of assuming the controversy had to do something with "Mormon missionary space whale rape."
Old 12-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Thanks! So the controversy had nothing to do with content of the story itself, then?
Well, besides the fact that it's really kind of surprisingly mediocre for a major award-winner, which was kind of what the kerfuffle was partly about. (But then, it managed to be just slightly less mediocre than the stories that I voted in 5th+ place behind it in the Hugos; methinks 2010 was not that great a year for shorter-form fiction if those really were the best they could scrape up.)

Quote:
I made the mistake of assuming the controversy had to do something with "Mormon missionary space whale rape."
I think that sort of thing's just par for the course these days. We're just lucky it's not a "post-apocalyptic steampunk telepathic AI Mormon missionary emotionally-bonded to a cyborg zombie space whale rape" story. Though IMHO, that would have made it a lot more interesting, even if the annoyingly smug
Spoiler:
"I am so totally not pushing my proselytizing superior human ways on these ignorant ancient advanced aliens with their longstanding ancient alien customs, but it's so amazingly easy to trick them by appealing to their childlike egomania into going along with what I say that they'll naturally bow to the superior superiority of proselytizing superior human ways over their longstanding ancient alien customs"
aspect which made me when I originally read it stayed in place.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
methinks 2010 was not that great a year for shorter-form fiction if those really were the best they could scrape up.
I don't know... I was rather of fond of de Bodard's "The Jaguar House, in Shadow."
Old 12-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
I don't know... I was rather of fond of de Bodard's "The Jaguar House, in Shadow."
That was a nice enough story with a pleasantly unusual setting, and I think I gave it 3rd place in the ranked voting.

But the 2009 Hugo packet was a lot stronger in the novelette department, IMHO, and had Peter Watts' visceral and insightful The Island (free ePub on his website), a funny Charles Stross Laundry story, a really imaginative Eugie Foster story, and some well-written if not all that imaginative stuff from Rachel Swirsky and Paul Cornell.

Only one dud in the lot, so 2010 just seemed a lot weaker by comparison because basically almost all the stories were merely okay to read, and to my reading fell well short of "this will stand the test of time" potentially great.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:

What!?! ANOTHER "Mormon missionary space whale rape" story?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote