Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
polli
Connoisseur
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Wink Charging My Kobo Touch

I have an old Ipod and also a new Android phone
They both have a plug on the end of the charging wire where the USB end of the wire fits in

Is it possible to plug my Kobo USB cable into either plug and charge it through the mains?
As an alternative to the USB?
Or do I have to buy the special Kobo one?
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Should be no problem at all using the same charger; many of us use third-party, wall plugged USB chargers with no issues at all.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Usb chargers are standardized so it should work. Only thing is that some chargers are not powerful enough to charge all devices.

I have used my wife's android phone charger with Kobo touch, it works just fine.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
kcowan
eReader Newbie
kcowan began at the beginning.

Device: Android, Kobo
And I have used my wife's universal charger for her Kobo to charge my Samsung smartphone and her Motorola Razr in France.
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
VividTree
VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo touch
Yes, go ahead. I'm using my android phone (Moto Droid 2) charger to charge my kobo all the time.
VividTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I've been using my iPhone charger to charge my Kobo Touch for 6 months. I have never charged it in the computer other than the brief charge when loading books.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
kcowan
eReader Newbie
kcowan began at the beginning.

Device: Android, Kobo
If the plug fits, try it!
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I use my phone charger with either the cable that came with my KT or the one that came with my phone. So as long as it's a Micro-USB cable it should work no problem.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
My understanding is that the device is in control of charging it's battery. So it will suck as much power as it can handle from the cable until charged and then stop charging. In the case of the Touch it's the standard 500 ma/0.5 amp from a USB port.

(However this does not apply when it comes to the Vox because it demands 2.0 amps and won't charge when hooked up to a 500 ma USB port. I hope this is fixable and will be fixed in a future firmware update.)
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
polli
Connoisseur
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Smile Thanks so much

Wow Thanks for all the replies

Had thought my phone charger would damage it.
You have saved me some money!
polli is offline   Reply With Quote