Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
weidbrewer
weidbrewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Simple Touch not displaying some covers

Some of my files (all in one series, actually) don't display the cover when sent to the device (Nook Simple Touch.) There are no jpgs in any of the folders, whether the covers are displaying or not, so I can't attempt to delete them as was suggested in an old thread I saw in a similar topic.

I also tried re-applying the covers in Calibre and chose different files, but no luck.

Other than that, Calibre is working as perfectly with the new Nook as the old.
weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The Nook Touch does not support using external thumbnails as cover images. Only the original Nook that had two screens worked this way.

The Nook Touch caches the cover image. So if you put a book on that doesn't display a cover properly then reconvert and resend it won't use the new cover. You need to restart the device for it to re-read the covers from the files. Full off then back on not putting it into sleep mode.

See this for a detailed technical explanation about the issue and how you can fix it by editing the EPUB itself.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
weidbrewer
weidbrewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Ugh...after a quick scan, that seems like an ugly work-around if I have a lot of files that the covers don't show on. Well, if I get desperate, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.
weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
krislars
krislars began at the beginning.

Device: nook
OK, I'm in!

I've upzipped the epub. I've opened the volume.opf file.

First question: In the section <metadata>...</metadata> section I see lots of <dc:...> lines, but no <meta...> lines. Do I still put the <meta name="cover" content="id5" /> here?

Second question: In the <manifest> section of the same file, the only mention I see to cover is this:

<item href="blak_9781101185254_oeb_cover_r1.xhtml" id="cover" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

So should the inserted command above be <meta name="cover" content="cover" />?

Thanks. I know a little about html, but epub is new to me. Dang it, but I really want those covers! Thanks again.
krislars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
krislars
krislars began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I read the links more carefully. I can answer one of my own questions:

Yes, OK to put <meta ...> tags in with the dc business.

I tried what I wrote, but no dice. So then I tried using the id of the actual jpg. No dice. I'm wondering if I am looking for the thumbnail instead?
krislars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
rav_96_96
rav_96_96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
SOLUTION TO GENERIC COVERS ON NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH

Hello - I read thru the comments on this site and others, and did the following with success -

- SOLUTION -

1) Use Calibre to convert to Epub a second time "even if already an Epub" and "even if you already converted it once with Calibre".
2) This step may not be needed - but I Moved the old "Original epub file" out of the folder Calibre has it in.
3) Then I connected Nook to computer and used Calibre to remove the ebooks not displaying the covers from the Nook (and I verified gone from the mapped drive - you can use either way to remove/copy - either Calibre or Windows File Manager)
4) I turned off Nook and then back on without USB connected, then plugged in USB to computer.
5) I copied the newly "re-converted" to Epub ebooks to the Nook and voila, covers on every single one.

- END SOLUTION -

Background:
- I had ebooks from different sources that I side loaded onto the Nook simple touch.
- Many were already in ePUB format when I started, yet for some reason most all of them (about 20) they showed as generic cover in the Nook.
- I used Calibre to convert the "already ePUB ebook" to ePUB and it created a new ePUB file in the same folder as the old ePUB file and Calibre also renamed the old file to "Original Epub" so it was easy to identify the new and old one.
- One interesting thing was that almost all of the "re-converted to Epub" books was a little smaller in KB than the original. Scrolling thru the pages it looks like all is there however.
- I probably didn't need to, but I removed the old "original" labeled files to another folder to avoid confusion.
- And I also don't know if I needed to power on/off the device between the deletes and new adds, but I wanted to be sure.
- I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, but it's so nice to have the original cover showing now!
rav_96_96 is offline   Reply With Quote