Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
croy
croy began at the beginning.

Device: Looking
Which model fits my needs the best?

I am a graduate studen working on a research related degree. This involves a lot of reading of PDFs and Word files. A portable reader would seem to ease my life, so I'm not always powering up a computer to read when I have a moment, or so I'm not carrying around a small forest of docs.

So I need a reader that will easily take PDF and *.doc files without forcing me to go through too many hoops. Third party software that I have to pay a lot for is not the way to go. I don't mind running files through a conversion though.
The result must be readable. I'm tired enough, if the conversion is not in a good size print (the Sony Reader literature suggests it wouldn't be) then it is a burden.

Ideally I can place bookmarks and highlights for future use.
Durability is nice. I can take care of delicate things, but the life of an adult student involves a lot of running around from place to place.
The ability to be quickly functional on boot-up is nice. I don't have that much time and when I get a moment I would like to make use of it.
A search feature would be useful too, but if there is a highlight or book mark feature for each file that is more important.

Are all these Readers compatible with the files from Project Gutenburg?

I am in America, if that affects my buying options.

I'm new to this, so if there are other things I should consider, please post them.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by croy; 11-05-2007 at 08:33 PM.
croy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfolded

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Put a bunch of your PDFs and DOCs (saved as RTF) on an SD card, go to the nearest SonyStyle and check out how they look on the Reader. You will likely be disappointed by PDF (hint: press and hold size button to switch to/from landscape mode) but RTF should be okay.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfolded

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can also run the PDFs through pdflrf (search the forums), that should improve readability some.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
The 505 costs less for Americans then does the Gen3. The Gen3 is $350 + $23 for shipping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote